Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "How Disgusting"

Happy birthday today (Saturday) to an Olympic champion who was born 82 years ago today and competed in one Olympic Games.

Our birthday athlete won an Olympic silver and an Olympic gold medal in the span of four days.

One of those medals involved a world record.

You may not know that our birthday individual was born in the same town where Roger O. Thornhill was booked for DUI (driving under the influence) about 63 years ago.

If you are familiar with the Alfred Hitchcock classic "North By Northwest", then you might remember that Cary Grant played Roger O. Thornhill in that movie.

Cary Grant utters two words when the doctor at the police station tells him that he will have to draw some blood.

This Olympic athlete died of cancer at the age of 70 and did not compete in the Olympic hurdles.

Feel free to watch the movie ("North By Northwest") to find out the name of the town where Roger Thornhill was booked for DUI.

Also, feel free to name our birthday champion on this 19th Saturday of 2021.

Paul Drayton???

Comment

Paul Drayton was born in New York 82 years ago today. Very good, KDFINE. Paul Drayton went to Villanova, made the U.S. Olympic team to Tokyo in 1964 (he won the 200 at the Trials), and took the Olympic silver medal in the Tokyo 200. He also ran the first leg on the winning four by 100 relay team than set a world record of 39.0.

Drayton was only 70 years old when he died in March of 2010.

Thank you, KDFINE.

Comment

Glen Cove

Comment

Glen Cove it is. Very well done, dukehjsteve. Paul Drayton was born in Glen Gove, New York on this day in 1939. Roger O. Thornhill (Cary Grant) was arrested for DUI at the Glen Cove Police Station. Most of "North By Northwest" was filmed in 1958 and the movie was released in 1959. If you have seen this movie, you might remember that Thornhill did not voluntarily consume all that alcohol before he was picked up by the Glen Cove Police.

Had Henry Carr not been in the 1964 Tokyo Olympic 200 final, Paul Drayton would have had two Olympic gold medals rather than his one gold and one silver medal. Carr was fourth place in the U.S. Olympic Trials 200 in 1964, however because he had already won the Semi-Final Olympic Trials (in July) 200 at Randall's Island in New York (not far from Glen Cove), he was placed on the U.S. 200 team to Tokyo because he had shown reasonable form in the final Trials in Los Angeles. Henry Carr had broken his own world record in the 200 in April of 1964 and when he had three men (Paul Drayton, Dick Stebbins, and Bob Hayes) beat him in the final Trials five months later, the selectors had to make a decision. I think they made the right decision

Thank you, dukehjsteve.

Comment

So what's with the "How Disgusting" clue? I felt that the clues pointed to Drayton but was unsure (that's why ???) because I thought that Drayton came up as an answer just recently on something, and thought it could have been the birthday quiz, thus already too soon.

Comment

I remember reading that Canadian marathon runner Jerome Drayton, whose birth name was Peter Buniak, changed his name because he admired Harry Jerome and Paul Drayton. But that is not true, according to Jerome Drayton's Wikipedia page.

Comment

Originally posted by KDFINE View Post
                So what's with the "How Disgusting" clue? I felt that the clues pointed to Drayton but was unsure (that's why ???) because I thought that Drayton came up as an answer just recently on something, and thought it could have been the birthday quiz, thus already too soon.
                When the doctor at the Glen Cove Police Station tells Cary Grant that he is going to have to draw blood, Cary Grant says, "How disgusting". Paul Drayton was born in Glen Cove.

Comment

Originally posted by noone View Post
                  I remember reading that Canadian marathon runner Jerome Drayton, whose birth name was Peter Buniak, changed his name because he admired Harry Jerome and Paul Drayton. But that is not true, according to Jerome Drayton's Wikipedia page.
                  a thread on the topic from 8 years ago

https://forum.trackandfieldnews.com/...n-and-his-name

Comment

Remembering " Glen Cove" from the movie was easy for me, as it's only about 8 miles west of my hometown ( Huntington ) .
                    Last edited by dukehjsteve; 05-09-2021, 12:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by gh View Post

a thread on the topic from 8 years ago

https://forum.trackandfieldnews.com/...n-and-his-name
                      Thanks Garry. I would like to point out that "no one" who was active in that thread, and I (noone) are two different people.
                      ​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by noone View Post
                        Thanks Garry. I would like to point out that "no one" who was active in that thread, and I (noone) are two different people.
                        ​​​​​
                        I am sure that no one finds that confusing.

Comment

Working...
                        X