X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tandfman
    replied
    Originally posted by DoubleRBar View Post
    Both my parents died a few years ago, but that doesn't stop me from wishing them a happy birthday.
    I think of my late parents on their birthdays--my father's was just two days ago. But it would never occur to me to wish them a happy birthday.

Leave a comment:

• noone
    replied
    When I hear Marie-Josée Perec, I have to think of her unwillingness to do battle with Cathy Freeman on Sydney. The Australian press was very hard on her for that.

Leave a comment:

• DoubleRBar
    replied
    Both my parents died a few years ago, but that doesn't stop me from wishing them a happy birthday.

Leave a comment:

• tandfman
    replied
    I understand that, but it still has always struck me as strange to wish a dead person a happy birthday.

Leave a comment:

• DoubleRBar
    replied
    It's all about their memory, tandfman.

Leave a comment:

• tandfman
    replied
    What's nice about this is that I think these two are actually still alive. I'm always a bit troubled by your wishing happy birthday to people who died decades ago.

Leave a comment:

• DoubleRBar
    replied
    Happy birthday yesterday (Sunday) to Ralph Boston (82) and to Marie-Jose Perec (53). Very good, rhymans and bambam1729.

Ralph Boston won Olympic gold in the long jump at the 1960 Rome Olympics, silver at the 1964 Tokyo Olympics, and bronze in Mexico City (1968). He set six world records in the long jump during an amazing career.

Marie-Jose Perec competed in the Seoul (1988) Olympic 200, but she did not make the final in South Korea. She won the 400 at the 1992 Barcelona Olympics and anchored the French four by 100 relay team that took fourth place in Spain. At the 1996 Atlanta Olympic Games, Perec won the 200 and the 400 and again, anchored the French four by 100 relay team to a sixth place finish in Georgia.

Thank you, rhymans, Vault-emort, Tuariki, and bambam1729.

Leave a comment:

• bambam1729
    replied
    Marie-Josee Perec for the younger one

Leave a comment:

• Vault-emort
    replied
    Originally posted by Tuariki View Post

Can't be Powell as he never won Olympic gold
    Oh - I mis-read it, thinking the other one was 'only' a dual World Champ.

Leave a comment:

• Tuariki
    replied
    Originally posted by Vault-emort View Post
    Going only off the 'two World Champs' (with no greater Olympic result mentioned), I'll guess Mike Powell for the other.
    Can't be Powell as he never won Olympic gold

Leave a comment:

• Vault-emort
    replied
    Going only off the 'two World Champs' (with no greater Olympic result mentioned), I'll guess Mike Powell for the other.

Leave a comment:

• rhymans
    replied
    The older one is Ralph Boston

Leave a comment:

• DoubleRBar
    started a topic Most Participants Run Both

Most Participants Run Both

Happy birthday today (Sunday) to two Olympic champions with a total age today of 135 years.

Both champions competed in three Olympic Games, both did not compete in the Olympic hurdles, and both were born in the same continent.

The older of the two was 29 when the younger athlete was born.

One of these champions set several world records during a long career while the other person won two World Championship gold medals.

That's all the clues for today.

Please name both Olympic champions on this Mother's Day Sunday.

Working...
X