Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RIP Ron Hill

Per twitter, Ron Hill died "today" - no details yet but for this legendary British distance runner, they will surely be forthcoming.

Amazing runner!
    I still can see in my mind's eye the photo of the shirt he wore while winning the Boston Marathon in about 2:10 in the 70's!
    It was white, with lots of air holes (but part of the shirt, not scissored).
    At the finish line, the shirt was partially outside and over his shorts, as if he'd used it to wipe sweat off his face, then didn't tuck it back in!
    From then on, I did the same, and wanted my racing jersey to not be tucked in at the end!

I know, a weird memory!
    Rest in Peace

Comment

Another tough one. Ron Hill and Lee Evans within days of each other. RIP Ron. Another of my early running legends.

Comment

Originally posted by aaronk View Post
        Amazing runner!
        I still can see in my mind's eye the photo of the shirt he wore while winning the Boston Marathon in about 2:10 in the 70's!
        It was white, with lots of air holes (but part of the shirt, not scissored).
        At the finish line, the shirt was partially outside and over his shorts, as if he'd used it to wipe sweat off his face, then didn't tuck it back in!
        From then on, I did the same, and wanted my racing jersey to not be tucked in at the end!

I know, a weird memory!
        Rest in Peace
        Great minds think alike! Exactly the same story for me. Always wore/wear my top outside my shorts and it is because of Hill's win in Boston 1970. I had the mesh tank as well.

Comment

Originally posted by NotDutra5 View Post

Great minds think alike! Exactly the same story for me. Always wore/wear my top outside my shorts and it is because of Hill's win in Boston 1970. I had the mesh tank as well.
          Went looking for that photo (of Hill winning Boston in 1970), but in doing so, I discovered I made a mistake!
          It was the photo of Neil Cusack winning Boston in 1974 (with the same type shirt hanging out of his shorts) that made me do the same with my shirts!!
          But I DO remember Hill's photo!!

Comment

RIP Ron.

From the BBC:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/athletics/57220289

Comment

Originally posted by bambam1729 View Post
              Per twitter, Ron Hill died "today" - no details yet but for this legendary British distance runner, they will surely be forthcoming.
              There's a story linked in the front page headline section, but it doesn't confirm the date of his death or the cause.

Comment

ronny.jpg.gallery.jpg

Comment

That is sad...I got to talk to him at the 1996 Boston Marathon for a bit. I remember that 1970 Boston so well...

Last edited by Conor Dary; 05-23-2021, 03:27 PM.

Comment

Terrific segment on Ron in the movie "Visions of Eight."

Comment

His 2 volume autobiography is something...quite a read.

Comment

Fwiw...an British Olympian friend from Yorkshire just sent this.

I just saw the news on Facebook. Very sad. I know he had deteriorated recently, I think he had Alzheimers.

Comment

So I'm guessing that his consecutive day running streak has ended. RIP . . .

Comment

Originally posted by bad hammy View Post
                            So I'm guessing that his consecutive day running streak has ended. RIP . . .
                            It ended in 2017 after just over 52 years.

Comment

Originally posted by Trickstat View Post
                              It ended in 2017 after just over 52 years.
                              52 years, 39 days = 19,033 days

Comment

Working...
                              X