Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ron Hill was a great runner....but the consecutive day thing was nuts....also it included 'running' on crutches for a mile...which is neurotic...

I made it a point to try to run everyday often twice a day....but there are limits....I remember once going on a canoe trip once with a fellow runner years ago and he had a consecutive day streak going and he said he was going to run on the portages....that went down like a load of bricks...like we were going to wait getting eaten by bugs while he ran....
    Last edited by Conor Dary; 05-23-2021, 09:00 PM.

Comment

I seem to recall a Runner's World interview with Ron Hill in around 1970 in which he said the running streak was symbolic for not giving up when things get difficult.

Comment

Originally posted by Chicago View Post
        I seem to recall a Runner's World interview with Ron Hill in around 1970 in which he said the running streak was symbolic for not giving up when things get difficult.
        I guess...but running a marathon is not giving up when it gets tough.

... it all seemed rather neurotic....cumulating in the crutches thing which at the time a lot of runners thought was silly. His 2 volume bio is of the same daily obsession. Endless detail. The best thing about it was a good history of the British running scene in the 60s.

No matter what you do and how successful you are you need a break from that activity. The obsession on the streak was not an example someone should follow.

Of course Munich had Hill in his reflective running outfit. Which I remember Shorter saying it was rather bizarre, more like a spacesuit, when he saw Hill at the start.

Hill in Visions of Eight was interesting but he does come off self absorbed...saying in the film he doesn't want to think about the murders, he had to concentrate on his race. I've known lots of British internationals and I couldn't imagine any of them saying something like that...let alone on camera.
        Last edited by Conor Dary; 05-24-2021, 12:00 AM.

Comment

I ran into Hill in Boston at the marathon in 1996... I was sitting in a restaurant near Copley when I noticed this older British couple eating not saying a word and sitting on the same side of the table. I was living in Nottingham then and it looked so British, and sort of sweet, so I watched them discretely for awhile. And then I suddenly recognized who it was. Soon they got up and walked right by my table. I had just seen him run in the Northern Counties CC in Yorkshire....so I said hello...and mentioned that. He was very nice and said he hadn't run that well but he appreciated it.

Comment

Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post

I guess...but running a marathon is not giving up when it gets tough.

... it all seemed rather neurotic....cumulating in the crutches thing which at the time a lot of runners thought was silly. His 2 volume bio is of the same daily obsession. Endless detail. The best thing about it was a good history of the British running scene in the 60s.

No matter what you do and how successful you are you need a break from that activity. The obsession on the streak was not an example someone should follow.

Of course Munich had Hill in his reflective running outfit. Which I remember Shorter saying it was rather bizarre, more like a spacesuit, when he saw Hill at the start.

Hill in Visions of Eight was interesting but he does come off self absorbed...saying in the film he doesn't want to think about the murders, he had to concentrate on his race. I've known lots of British internationals and I couldn't imagine any of them saying something like that...let alone on camera.
            All leaving out that the same qualities you bring up as a negative may have been the catalyst for his successes in world class running and his personal life.

Comment

My son had a mile-a-day streak for many years. Almost came to an end when he realized it was almost midnight and he had to leave his sister's wedding reception after an evening wedding in the university chapel to run a mile across the very cold, snow-covered campus in a tux and patent leather shoes.

Comment

Originally posted by NotDutra5 View Post

All leaving out that the same qualities you bring up as a negative may have been the catalyst for his successes in world class running and his personal life.
                Exactly. Ron Hill was fabulously successful as an athlete and businessman and I always admired his work ethic and constant focus on improving. Would he be viewed differently if he had won an Olympic gold medal? Bruce Jenner and Dan Gable each worked out more than six hours a day in preparation for the Olympics, but were not criticized for being obsessive.

Comment

Exactly. Ron Hill was fabulously successful as an athlete and businessman and I always admired his work ethic and constant focus on improving. Would he be viewed differently if he had won an Olympic gold medal? Bruce Jenner and Dan Gable each worked out more than six hours a day in preparation for the Olympics, but were not criticized for being obsessive.
                  Training alot is one thing and part of being a world class athlete..the streak thing years after he stopped racing seriously was bizarre.... especially going a mile on crutches and calling that running...

Comment

Hey, it worked for him . . .

Comment

Another loss for the sport. RIP Ron.

Comment

Dan Gable each worked out more than six hours a day in preparation for the Olympics, but were not criticized for being obsessive.
                        Gable's workouts were so legendary that at the 1971 World Championships, an Iranian wrestler, who was defending his world championship in their national sport, so he obviously worked out a lot, went over to the American coach, and asked, "Is there something mentally wrong with Gable?"

Comment

Ron appeared to me as a true working class hero. He looks like any of thousands of folks you might strike up a conversation with in the pub.

Comment

What makes Ron Hill's running streaking even more impressive is that for 26.2 years of it, he ran twice a day six days a week and once on Sunday.

Comment

Nice obit in the NY Times: https://www.nytimes.com/2021/06/09/s...hill-dead.html

Comment

Working...
                              X