Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vega$

Happy 61st birthday today (Wednesday) to an Olympic champion who competed in three Olympic Games and won silver and gold medals at the same event (not hurdles).

Our birthday athlete shares the same initials with an actor who died of cancer at the age of 55 in 2002.

This actor went to college on an athletic scholarship and had a similar look to our birthday person.

You might remember one of the actor's movies called "Revolver" (1992), however you are more likely to remember a television show.

In 1993, our birthday champion failed a doping test, but went on to compete in the last of those three Olympics.

Some of you know that our birthday individual represented two different countries at the Olympic Games.

Who is this Olympic champion with a birthday on this final Wednesday of May?

Romas Ubartas / Robert Urich

Comment

Happy 61st birthday today to Romas Ubartas (Lithuania) and nice job, bambam1729. You even got Robert Urich who played the center position for Florida State football.

Ubartas won the Olympic silver medal in the discus at the 1988 Seoul Olympic Games. He competed for the Soviet Union in South Korea. Four years later (competing for Lithuania), he won the Olympic gold medal in the discus at Barcelona. After testing positive the following year, Ubartas went on to compete at the 2000 Olympics in Sydney where he failed to make the final of the discus.

Thank you, bambam1729.

Comment

In a macabre way, have always had an interest in Urich since his death as he died from synovial sarcoma, a rare soft tissue sarcoma that I studied quite a bit when I was an orthopaedic resident. As a resident, I was debating about sub-specializing in either shoulder/elbow or orthopaedic oncology, and finally selected shoulder/elbow. But I studied a lot of those sarcomas as well.

Comment

Working...
        X