Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RIP Rick Mitchell

Rick Mitchell died 30 May 2021 in Brisbane, Queensland, AUS

Silver medal in 1980 400 metres, Olympian in 1976, 1980, 1984. Also made the 1976 400 final (6th) and 1984 4x400 final (4th)

He was Commonwealth Champion in 1978. I remember he expressed his disappointment that the 4x400m team he ran in at LA in 1984 still held the Australian record. Sadly that record has outlived him.

Comment

Sad news. Remember having some interesting conversations on-line with him in the early 2000s.

He was the standout Australian male athlete when I was a kid and one of our most consistent performers.

As a TV commentator on athletics, one of his most common remarks (about more mature athletes) was 'like a fine wine'.

Sadly, that fine wine is now gone.

Comment

His obituary:

https://www.athletics.com.au/news/vale-rick-mitchell/

Comment

RIP

That obituary mentions his wife. I think in 1982 she must have spent the summer in London, as she joined one of the London clubs and my sister had the misfortune of being run down by her in a 4x400m from about 35m back.

Comment

I was fortunate enough to have seen Mitchell run a few times and he was very impressive. He anchored the Australian four by 400 relay team (45.39) at the 1984 Los Angeles Olympics, however he had to face Innocent Egbunike (44.56) on that last leg and that was the difference between a bronze medal and fourth place.

His silver medal in Moscow (1980) at 44.84 was very impressive, especially in the last 150 or so. I believe he went from fifth place to second place and was 0.24 behind the gold medalist, Viktor Markin.

Comment

A good mate. A great competitor. We had lots of chats in recent times until it caught up with him. Loved his family. Loved his music. Loved his friends and us old guard. RIP Mitch.

Comment

Originally posted by Trickstat View Post

That obituary mentions his wife. I think in 1982 she must have spent the summer in London.
                Chris (nee Dale) was a decent sprinter who had won silver and bronze medals in the Australian junior (U18 at the time) 200m championships in 1972 & 73. Her lifetime PB of 23.4 was set at that '73 competition.

Late in 1976 she moved up to 400m, running a PB of 52.9, and her runs that season got her a spot on the Oceanian 4x400m team for the inaugural World Cup.

She didn't compete much over the next few years (having kids?), but did end up running in the 1982 Commonwealth Games trials, though she could only run a disappointing 55.88 in the heats (She'd run 54.78 in a French meet earlier that year).

Comment

Working...
                X