Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bubbling Crude - Black Gold - Texas Tea

Happy birthday today (Wednesday) to an Olympic champion who was born 111 years ago and approximately 13 miles from the site where this athlete would win that Olympic gold medal.

Our birthday individual died two weeks before turning 80 years old and about 25 miles from the site where this champion won that Olympic gold medal.

No hurdles were involved with this person's Olympic gold medal, however you could say two world records were involved with this gold medal.

About 60 years after our birthday athlete won Olympic gold, another athlete, with the same initials, won an Olympic gold medal, but not in the same event as our birthday champion.

This athlete, with the same initials as our birthday person, did compete in the same events as our birthday champion.

Do you think you can name our birthday athlete for this first Wednesday of June?

Please give it a try.

Oh, heck, isn't anyone gonna answer this?

Comment

I bet this is some Californian guy who won in 1932. Cannot get further.

Comment

I got the Jed Clampett reference so also figured LA area, and 1932. What amazes me is that, I think, most of DoubleRBar's birthday trivia questions get answered correctly by someone who just KNOWS all the info, or enough of it to make a good guess. I usually have zero idea. I got this one but had to use wikipedia so won't answer here.

Comment

Yes, this person won a gold medal in Los Angeles (1932). Later in life, this athlete worked in the oil leasing business. Some of you might remember the famous college (about 400 miles north of Los Angeles) that this athlete attended. I say "famous" because this school is "in the news" repeatedly for science, medicine, and even sports.

The other champion (the one with the same initials) comes from Europe and won Olympic gold in a field event.

Comment

Nobody is answering. This is becoming dire.

Comment

Don't panic, bambam1729, even though if you replace the second letter in the last word on your second sentence, you would have all four letters of the last name of our birthday athlete for this second day of June. Give folks a chance to figure the name.
              Last edited by DoubleRBar; 06-03-2021, 09:43 PM.

Comment

Good old Ebenezer Redo ! Easy !

Comment

Originally posted by dukehjsteve View Post
                  Good old Ebenezer Redo ! Easy !
                  Or Fred, the Brazilian walker

Comment

Hec Dyer (and Heike Drechsler)

Comment

Hec Dyer was born 111 years ago yesterday (Wednesday). Nice going, LopenUupunut. Of course you remember that Hec Dyer ran the third leg on the winning four by 100 relay team in Los Angeles (1932). They broke the world record with a 40.0 (40.10), but what's even more amazing is that they tied the world record the day before the final with a 40.6. The U.S. team was Robert Kiesel (Cal), Emmett Toppino (Loyola), Hec Dyer (Stanford), and Frank Wykoff (USC). They didn't even use Eddie Tolan (he won the Los Angeles 100), Ralph Metcalfe (he took the silver medal in the Los Angeles 100), or George Simpson (he was fourth in the Los Angeles 100). With good handoffs, I think it's safe to say that they probably could have run under 40.0.

Hec Dyer didn't even run the 100 at our Olympic Trials (held at Stanford). He was fifth in the Olympic Trials 200 which was run on a straightaway in Stanford Stadium. Germany was second place in Los Angeles with their 40.9. It was their world record (40.6) which the Americans tied the day before the final.

Heike Drechsler is correct (speaking of Germany).

Thank you, LopenUupunut.

Comment

Originally posted by DoubleRBar View Post
                        Don't panic, bambam1729, even though if you replace the second letter in the last word on your second sentence, you would have all four letters of the last name of our birthday athlete for this second day of June. Give folks a chance to figure the name.
                        methinks you missed a subtle pun by bam

Comment

Actually if you look at my 2 posts on this thread you'll see his name is contained in them

Comment

I saw it.

Comment

So one HD won one gold medal, another won two. Could another HD have won four?

Comment

Working...
                              X