Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TAFNOT

Happy birthday today (Thursday) to an Olympic champion who turns 77 today.

Our birthday person was a teacher and competed in only one Olympic Games.

This champion competed in three Olympic events and won Olympic medals in all three events (no hurdles).

One of those three Olympic events involved a world record.

If you remember the "old" Tonight show on NBC, then you might remember the name of the announcer who introduced Johnny Carson.

That announcer shared the same initials as our birthday athlete.

The announcer is no longer alive, however our birthday champion is alive and well.

Now, please name this Olympic champion with a birthday on this very first Thursday of June.

Edith McGuire

Comment

Edith McGuire (Duvall) celebrates 77 years today. Good job, bambam1729. McGuire was born in Atlanta just three days before Tommie Smith was born. She made the Olympic team to Tokyo in 1964 and took the Olympic silver medal in the 100. Three days later, Edith won the gold medal in the 200, beating Irena Kirszenstein (23.05 to 23.13). Two days after winning the 200, McGuire anchored the American four by 100 relay team to a silver medal behind Poland's gold (43.69 to 43.92). Both teams went faster than the world record, however Poland's anchor (Ewa Klobukowska) failed a sex chromosome test in 1966. Poland was allowed to keep their gold medal, but they lost the world record. The American team was then credited with the new world record.

By the way, Edith Duvall (now lives in Oakland, California) and her husband have gone to the Olympic Games with Track & Field News which explains our title.

Thank you, bambam1729.

Comment

I do remember Ed McMahon.

Comment

I wonder how many others here remember Ed McMahon.

Comment

Originally posted by DoubleRBar View Post
            Doesn't everyone??

Comment

I doubt everyone would.

Comment

Anyone in our age group!

Comment

Yes.

Comment

When I saw the thread's title, I thought for a brief moment that it is about our Atticus. His first incarnation on this board was Tafnut. LOL.
                    "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
                    by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

Originally posted by Pego View Post
                      When I saw the thread's title, I thought for a brief moment that it is about our Atticus. His first incarnation on this board was Tafnut. LOL.
                      Great minds.. think alike.

Comment

The Tonight Show is in daily reruns with Johnny and Ed on one of the cable nostalgia channels.

Comment

Originally posted by DoubleRBar View Post
                          Wasn't he the guy that appeared on the commercials for Publishers Clearinghouse?

Comment

Originally posted by Pego View Post
                            If you'd ever been on a Track & Field News Olympic Tour, you'd know what TAFNOT means. If you haven't, you should. They are really excellent!

Comment

Ditto. In fact, any TAFN tour is great, not just the Olympic ones.
                              Last edited by Halfmiler2; 06-09-2021, 07:13 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X