Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• City By The Bay

Happy 54th birthday today (Saturday) to an Olympic champion who competed in one Olympic Games and not in the hurdles.

This athlete's Olympic victory was not completely unexpected, however it was definitely a "shock" to many.

Can you imagine having one brother and eleven sisters?

Our birthday individual can imagine it.

Our birthday champion competed in one Olympic event and did not start a second Olympic event.

Who is this fairly young Olympic champion with a birthday on this first Saturday of June?

A jab. Paul Ereng could be about that age.
    "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
    by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

You are right, Pego. Paul Ereng was born the same year as our birthday athlete and they won Olympic gold medals at the same Olympic stadium, however Ereng competed in two Olympic Games and our birthday person competed in only one Games. I can tell you that Ereng and our birthday individual were born in different continents, but they both won Olympic gold in running events. Good guess though.

Comment

Sounds like it is someone from San Francisco.
        But I can't think of an Olympians from SF who would be this age.

Comment

Yes, it does sound like San Francisco and you are in the right country, but the wrong state. If you take the first and the last words in this title and reverse their order, you will have the birth place of our birthday athlete.

Comment

i knew the answer, but if I hadn't looked it up (wiki), I wouldn't have had the slightest idea where this athlete was born.

Comment

Joe DeLoach! Bay City, Texas

Comment

Happy 54th birthday yesterday (Saturday) to Joe DeLoach. Very good, gm. Joe DeLoach made many headlines during his high school days in Texas. When he got to the University of Houston, he blossomed into a great sprinter and in fact, he won the 1988 Olympic Trials 200 beating Carl Lewis and Roy Martin (another great Texas sprinter). At the 1988 Seoul Olympics, DeLoach, once again, beat Carl Lewis, this time for the Olympic gold medal in the 200.

Thank you, gm.

Comment

Originally posted by DoubleRBar View Post
                  Happy 54th birthday yesterday (Saturday) to Joe DeLoach. Very good, gm. Joe DeLoach made many headlines during his high school days in Texas. When he got to the University of Houston, he blossomed into a great sprinter and in fact, he won the 1988 Olympic Trials 200 beating Carl Lewis and Roy Martin (another great Texas sprinter). At the 1988 Seoul Olympics, DeLoach, once again, beat Carl Lewis, this time for the Olympic gold medal in the 200.

Thank you, gm.
                  Magical Texas state high school meet in 1985 with Martin, DeLoach and Stanley Kerr putting on a 200m show.

Comment

Working...
                  X