Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Failure Might Justify Goals

Happy birthday today (Wednesday) to two Olympic champions with a total of 126 years since their births.

Both were born on the same continent, both competed in three Olympic Games, and both did not compete in the Olympic hurdles.

One was born on a Wednesday and turns 50 today while the other died on a Wednesday at the age of 71.

The younger athlete won a World Indoor gold medal and a bronze medal.

You might know that the older person was 26 when the younger champion was born.

How about naming our birthday athletes on this first day of the 2021 NCAA Championships?

OK – if you don't mind that it's me again – I'll try: the older might be Faina Melnik.

Comment

Faina Melnik relates with a personal memory of mine. I was watching European Championships at the Helsinki stadium in 1971 as a 7-year-old. I had never heard the name of Faina Melnik, but when it was her turn, I said to my dad: now Faina Melnik will throw a world record, and she actually did. That was a rare moment of clairvoyance; I have never been any good in sports betting.

Comment

Just kidding, but Justin Gatlin seems like he is 50

Comment

Faina Melnyk was born in what is now Ukraine 76 years ago today. Very good, Olli. I liked your story of the 1971 European Championships.

Faina Melnyk won an Olympic gold medal in the discus at the first of her three Olympics. She competed in the shot put (10th place) and the discus (4th place) at the 1976 Montreal Olympics. Her final Olympics were the 1980 Moscow Games where she did not make the discus final.

Melnyk was 71 when she passed away nine days before Christmas in 2016 in Moscow, Russia. Her husband was also an Olympic discus thrower.

Yes, Justin Gatlin seems like he has been sprinting for a long time and that's because he has been sprinting for a long time. He won the Olympic gold medal in the 100 some 17 years ago in Athens. Gatlin turned 39 last February (only 11 more years to 50).

Thank you Olli and noone.

Comment

Originally posted by DoubleRBar View Post
            Happy birthday today (Wednesday) to two Olympic champions with a total of 126 years since their births.

Both were born on the same continent,
            Melnyk and Gatlin were born on the same continent? I didn't think so.

Comment

I doubt anyone did.

Comment

You're right, Olli.

Comment

Jean Galfione?

Comment

Happy 50th birthday yesterday (Wednesday) to Jean Galfione and very good, Olli.

Jean Galfione competed in the pole vault at three Olympic Games. His first Games was the 1992 Barcelona Olympics where he did not make the final. The second of those three Games was the 1996 Atlanta Olympics where he won his gold medal. The third and final of the three was Sydney in 2000. Again, Galfione did not make the final.

After his track and field days, Jean Galfione turned to sailing and was fairly successful at that sport.

Thank you, Olli.

Comment

Working...
                    X