Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Most Well Known Field Eventer

Perhaps this topic has already been covered?

I think it was a couple of comments on the Current Events board about Mondo Duplantis and the non-track world's (lack of) awareness of his pole vaulting prowess that sparked this question in my mind: There have been many well-known runners in history, who is the most well known field event athlete of all time?

For me, born in the 50s (and in the USA), it would have been Bob Beamon for most of my early life. Then there is King Carl, although his CV is probably viewed more from the sprinting side of things. Bob Richards (didn't he make the Wheaties box?)? If I were European, it might have been Saneyev?

I'm inclined not to include decathletes.

Thoughts?

King Carl might be better known as a sprinter, but according to Tom Tellez, he was a long jumper who could sprint.

Comment

It's Beamonesque.

Comment

Oerter, Bubka, Isinbayeva, Fosbury, Zelezny, to mention some "candidates" in random order. Their well-known-ness probably varies according to where you live.

Comment

Decathletes should count as they do 6 field events.

Therefore, it is a no brainer as to who is the most famous and well known, at least on a world wide basis.

Caitlyn.

outside of Caitlyn, i agree it would probably be Beamon and Lewis. But then it depends on what country you are in.
          ​​​​​
          Without a doubt the most famous field eventer in NZ is Dame Valerie Adams.
          ​​​​​​

Comment

I would be tempted to exclude Lewis who would be far less famous if his sprinting achievements had been relatively modest. However, as a four-time Olympic LJ champion he would still have been relatively well-known for a field eventer.

Comment

In some order it's King Carl and/or Bruce Jenner, at least for American fans. I suppose Easter Bloc/Soviet fans might say Bubka or someone else. Isi?
              You there, on the motorbike! Sell me one of your melons!

Comment

I remember when Sotomayor first cleared 8 feet, it was big news in USA and even made the mainstream sports news. I think I saw it on CNN back then. Too long ago to remember clearly 😑

Comment

When I saw the subject line, the name that popped into my mind immediately was Jesse Owens.

Comment

Owens, Beamon, Lewis, Fosbury, and Jenner are names most Americans can identify.
                    I would put Fosbury first now, because of the Flop being the way we know people HJ.

Comment

Originally posted by tandfman View Post
                      When I saw the subject line, the name that popped into my mind immediately was Jesse Owens.
                      Exactly....

Comment

I know we've covered this before, but in no particular order: Jackie Robinson, Bill Russell, Buzz Aldrin, Garth Brooks, Bill Cosby...

Good call on Fosbury!

Gwen Berry might have the most name recognition (in the USA) of current field event Olympians, but that is probably temporary

Comment

I would say that, in Europe at least, both Bubka and Isinbayeva, were very well-known for field eventers in their heyday. It is interesting that pole vault in itself is something of a minority event at grassroots level, but the top exponents sometimes have a tendency to be amongst the biggest names in field events.

Comment

Originally posted by Merner521 View Post
                            I know we've covered this before, but in no particular order: Jackie Robinson, Bill Russell, Buzz Aldrin, Garth Brooks, Bill Cosby...
                            Cosby was a field eventer? I thought he ran the 400?

Comment

Originally posted by Merner521 View Post
                              Garth is well known as a musician but I wonder how many people know he threw the javelin at Ok State.

Comment

Working...
                              X