Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CZ Seat

Happy birthday today (Wednesday) to an Olympic champion who died at the age of 66.

This athlete was born 98 years ago today and was the favorite going into the Olympic Games.

Our birthday individual did not compete in the Olympic hurdles, but did set an Olympic record in winning that gold medal.

You might know that this person competed in only one Olympic Games and in only one event.

Unscramble the six letters in our title and come up with a valuable clue.

Track and field was not the only sport for our birthday champion.

Can you name our birthday athlete for this "Bastille Day" of 2021?

Please give it a try.

Aztecs as a nickname for winner's college ? Best I can do.

Comment

Good work, dukehjsteve. This birthday champion did graduate from San Diego State (in those days). Our birthday athlete served in the Army during World War II and was not the only person from San Diego State to win Olympic gold in this particular event.

Comment

Was it Greg Bell?
        I know Arnie Robinson went to SDS

Comment

Greg Bell went to Indiana, but not a bad guess, Tuariki. You're right about Arnie Robinson. This birthday athlete came before Greg Bell (same event).

Comment

Originally posted by DoubleRBar View Post
            Greg Bell went to Indiana, but not a bad guess, Tuariki. You're right about Arnie Robinson. This birthday athlete came before Greg Bell (same event).
            Greg Bell is very much alive and there was a featured article about him ia few days ago.

Comment

Originally posted by DoubleRBar View Post
              The guy who won in Melbourne? Or London?
              Last edited by Tuariki; 07-17-2021, 02:32 AM.

Comment

Bell won in Australia. Our birthday jumper won in England.

Comment

At this point, the answer was very easy to look up. It happens that the London Olympic winner did attend San Diego State.

Comment

The idea is for us to solve these without an internet search, right? Otherwise it would be much less of a challenge. (As in, I don't think I've ever figured one out on my own.)

Comment

Yeah. Right.

Comment

So who won in London? Was it Biffle?

Comment

Biffle won in 52 in Helsinki. London winner was Steele

Comment

I jumped against Arnie a few times and knew he was from SDS, and I knew Bell had won the LJ in 52 or 56. So that was my guess because I didn't recall Biffle or Steele.

Comment

Willie Steele was born in California 98 years ago this past Wednesday. Good job, dukehjsteve. Yes, Willie Steele won the Olympic long jump in London (1948). Steele was considered one of the best, if not the best, long jumpers in the world in the late 1940's. He never broke Jesse Owen's world record, but some people thought he had the talent to do so. He died in California at the age of 66 in 1989.

Thank you, dukehjsteve, Tuariki, KDFINE, Steele, and cigar95.

Comment

Working...
                              X