Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wiederganger
    replied
    Well, no, I have to admire her form. It was great, her extension, and stride length, her relaxation.....I can put everything else aside and appreciate that, just as I would wit other athletes I'm not particularly a fan off, such as Jeter, who's form was even better.

Leave a comment:

• scottmitchell74
    replied
    Originally posted by noone View Post

I have a feeling if you’re looking for FloJo admirers, this is t,he wrong forum
    Yeah, I guess. Shame.

Leave a comment:

• noone
    replied
    Originally posted by scottmitchell74 View Post
    In between meets and in Olympic Fever I've been watching videos on Youtube, including ones talking about Flo Jo's form.
    I have a feeling if you’re looking for FloJo admirers, this is t,he wrong forum

Leave a comment:

• KevinR
    replied
    Somewhat off topic, and in no way meant to make accusations. But in theory, EPO would allow a long sprinter to perform a greater volume of training by reducing recovery time. That would seem to provide greater sprint endurance long after the drug had cleared the system.

Leave a comment:

• Wiederganger
    replied
    Originally posted by Trickstat View Post

How would EPO help with speed maintenance in an event which is, as I understand it, 100% anaerobic?

Flo Jo's running action in 1988 did look a lot more like that of a GDR sprinter than it had previously. To my eyes and that of my mother (a sprint coach at the time).
    Re EPO, ask Marion Jones & the BALCO crew, who were taking it. Presumably for their long runs & training. History has shown us that athletes take drugs that we, as mere mortal grunts, have no idea why they would take: EPO here, but also drugs for narcolepsy & sleep disorders (Modafinil), and heart problems (Meldonium)...

Flo Jo was quite open about the long distance running she did in training.

Re her form, I would say it's the opposite to East German form.

Leave a comment:

• dukehjsteve
    replied
    Indy Track stadium has gone to crap... it's turned into a soccer stadium ! Track is still there but sad to see.

Leave a comment:

• lonewolf
    replied
    Originally posted by wamego relays champ View Post
    The google earth image I saw seems to show horizontal jump facilities outside the track in front of the home straight spectators. They existed in 1982 too but the main action was on the infield until the conversion of the facility to accommodate soccer and rugby.

0593_ajaxhelper.jpg
    You are correct, wamego.

Re-visiting Google Earth and my memory bank, there is a horizontal jump runway between the track and the south stands. I remember working a women's LJ on the west pit, probably the hep, because it was not during Flo Jo's record 100m canter. The Women's LJ was definitely held on the (now removed) East pit inside the track.
    This I recall because the incomparable JJK always smoothed the sand around her imprint before she arose to exit the pit. Didn't help much but was a nice unique gesture. JJK was the most humble, gracious elite athlete I have ever worked.
    The Men's LJ was also held on the East pit inside the track.

Leave a comment:

• steve
    replied
    Originally posted by Steele View Post
    5000 sit ups. Even if it were just 1000, if you spread that much work out over all of the relevant muscle groups (1000 squats, 1000 presses, 1000 calf raises, etc.) you are going to be one heck of an athlete. Paging Herschel Walker.
    Or you'll get some bad injuries. Herschel might just be that one in a trillion gifted athlete with the genetics to make gains from that kind of training. I often wonder that if he had moved away from his regimen into something more modern he would have been an even better back and sprinter.

Leave a comment:

• wamego relays champ
    replied
    Originally posted by lonewolf View Post
    I just Google Earthed it and the LJ/TJ runways are no longer inside the track along the south edge of the field. In fact, I cannot find horizontal jump facilities anywhere in the stadium.
    The google earth image I saw seems to show horizontal jump facilities outside the track in front of the home straight spectators. They existed in 1982 too but the main action was on the infield until the conversion of the facility to accommodate soccer and rugby.

0593_ajaxhelper.jpg

Leave a comment:

• Steele
    replied
    5000 sit ups. Even if it were just 1000, if you spread that much work out over all of the relevant muscle groups (1000 squats, 1000 presses, 1000 calf raises, etc.) you are going to be one heck of an athlete. Paging Herschel Walker.

Leave a comment:

• gh
    replied
    we're treading on thin. ice here folks

Leave a comment:

• Trickstat
    replied
    Originally posted by Wiederganger View Post
    The IAAF statistical analysis from Seoul showed that Flo Jo basically didn't slow down. It was her speed maintenance that set her apart from her competitors. Have a look at the stats below. In Seoul, she didn't reach peak speed until 70m, which is very late for a woman, most do around 40-60m. But she maintained that speed for much longer than anyone else, who only held top speed for one 10m segment, and then slowed down.

In simple terms, the GDR approach back then was all about getting the highest maximum speed, low arm carriage and cadence, whereas Flo-Jo's approach was about maintaining speed and stride length. Flo's Jo's stride length was nearly as long as Drechsler's, who was much taller, and 3rd behind Drechsler and Jackson's, despite other women being taller than her.

It's worth pointing out some of the - unfounded - allegations that she was taking HGH (not actually on the IOC's banned list until 1989..) . Some suggested EPO too, which accounted for the speed maintenance, but that was more rumour rather than explicit accusation, as with HGH via Darrell Robinson. It's worth noting neither of these drugs were in the GDR medicine cabinet, which would partly account for how the GDR lost that chapter of the Cold War in Seoul
    How would EPO help with speed maintenance in an event which is, as I understand it, 100% anaerobic?

Flo Jo's running action in 1988 did look a lot more like that of a GDR sprinter than it had previously. To my eyes and that of my mother (a sprint coach at the time).

Leave a comment:

• lonewolf
    replied
    Tempus fugits... I guess I have not been to Indy lately. I just Google Earthed it and the LJ/TJ runways are no longer inside the track along the south edge of the field. In fact, I cannot find horizontal jump facilities anywhere in the stadium.
    I have worked a lot of meets in the last forty years. I cannot remember the details of them all but this one was memorable.
    Faded/Faulty Memory, Senility, Early/Late Dementia/Alzheimers.. take your pick..
    Last edited by lonewolf; 07-16-2021, 08:36 PM.

Leave a comment:

• KevinR
    replied
    The wind gauge on the parallel trackside LJ runway consistently read 5.x before, during, and after that race. The head of the runway was near the starting line and the flight coordinator (now deceased) held the next jumper during the start. I was the pit judge for that event and distinctly remember watching empty coke cans roll down the track in the wake of the runners. It was windy. The LJ wind gauge operator (now deceased) commented on the unusual discrepancy in reported wind speeds.
    I presume the LJ records, with wind speeds, for that event are archived somewhere.
    Thanks for continuing to provide us with first hand accounts of what goes on at track level.

Leave a comment:

• cigar95
    replied

OK, could have been. That was 33 years ago. LJ/TJ same runway. Same crew worked both events.
    And wasn't the women's TJ going on simultaneously on the outside pit?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X