X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tuariki
    replied
    Originally posted by aaronk View Post
    Cole Hocker came within 0.06 seconds of breaking the 1500 MR, and had to run a low-50's last 400 in order to get even that close.
    If he'd run a faster 3rd lap....!!
    then he might have run a slower last lap

Leave a comment:

• gh
    replied
    I suspect if you look at the timetable/entrants that many of the significant players are doubling back from the 10K

Leave a comment:

• aaronk
    replied
    Cole Hocker came within 0.06 seconds of breaking the 1500 MR, and had to run a low-50's last 400 in order to get even that close.
    If he'd run a faster 3rd lap....!!

Leave a comment:

• Conor Dary
    replied
    Of course 1972 was an anomaly...Pre setting an American Record. In the normal course of things, without Pre and Hayward Field, the winning time would have been 15 seconds slower and the Trials record would have been broken after 1972. 13:22 is still not a bad time for Americans.

Leave a comment:

• Trickstat
    replied
    I know at Olympics and World Champs, the winning time in the 5000 sometimes is a long way from world-class (e.g 13:40 or slower), but it is rare for the 10000 time to be at an equivalent level. Maybe, there is a tendency at the US trials for the kind of runner who is desperate to avoid a last lap burn-up in the 5000 and take the pace on, to have already made the team at the 10000 and they either don't run the 5000 or are not too bothered about taking it on.

Leave a comment:

• Conor Dary
    replied
    Yeah...it is pretty obvious why it is 13:22...and if Rupp hadn't run a 52 last lap 9 years ago....Pre would still have it.

Can you imagine in 1972 if the Trials record had still dated from 1920.
    Last edited by Conor Dary; 07-14-2021, 11:34 PM.

Leave a comment:

• gm
    replied
    Originally posted by Chicago View Post
    It seems like the men's 5,000 is a major contender. The current record of 13:22.67 is less than two-tenths of a second faster than the time Steve Prefontaine ran 49 years ago. I'm wondering why winning times for that race are so relatively mediocre.
    It can be an extremely tactical affair.

Leave a comment:

• Chicago
    started a topic Softest U.S. Olympic Trials Record

Softest U.S. Olympic Trials Record

It seems like the men's 5,000 is a major contender. The current record of 13:22.67 is less than two-tenths of a second faster than the time Steve Prefontaine ran 49 years ago. I'm wondering why winning times for that race are so relatively mediocre.
Working...
X