Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Mutt"

Happy birthday today (Tuesday) to an Olympic champion who also won an Olympic silver medal.

Our birthday athlete was born 70 years ago today and celebrated 18 years the day the Apollo 11 astronauts landed on our Moon.

This individual died at the age of 54 in the same city in which this athlete was born.

Don't worry about the hurdles when thinking of an Olympic event for this person.

Some of you might already know that our birthday champion competed in only one Olympic Games.

An athlete that won Olympic gold in Sydney, in the same event as our birthday individual, has a last-name connection with our birthday person.

Please name this Olympian on this penultimate Tuesday of July.

Just a guess, I may be completely wrong: Viktor Markin.

Comment

Viktor Markin is a pretty good guess, Olli, however it is not correct. Markin was born about six years after our birthday athlete. Markin did compete in two very similar events as did our birthday champion, but he was born on a different continent than our birthday person.

Comment

My second guess was right, but I checked it from wikipedia, so I suppose I am not allowed to post it.

In fact, I was about to post that "second guess" first, but then I thought Russians might be more likely to die relatively young...

Comment

You're right, Olli. After checking with wikipedia, the guessing ends there.

Comment

Fred Newhouse sounds like a possibility but I think he's a little older, and maybe still alive. And then maybe Ron Freeman with the Cathy Freeman connection, but he's too old to fit. (And Larry James won the silver, not Freeman, anyway.)

I feel like this is the closest I've ever been to getting one of these, but I'm not there.
            Last edited by cigar95; 07-20-2021, 11:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by cigar95 View Post
              Fred Newhouse sounds like a possibility but I think he's a little older, and maybe still alive. And then maybe Ron Freeman with the Cathy Freeman connection, but he's too old to fit. (And Larry James won the silver, not Freeman, anyway.)

I feel like this is the closest I've ever been to getting one of these, but I'm not there.
              You forget that Larry James won a gold in the relay but he was born in '47 or '48 and our birthday athlete was born in '51.

Comment

I will tell you that our birthday athlete did not compete in Mexico City (1968).

Last name connection does not mean they share the same last name.

Comment

Originally posted by cigar95 View Post

Fred Newhouse is still alive.

Comment

Originally posted by KDFINE View Post

You forget that Larry James won a gold in the relay but he was born in '47 or '48 and our birthday athlete was born in '51.
                    Yeah I just mentioned James as a way of eliminating Freeman from consideration. I had first tried to make the Cathy Freeman connection.

Comment

I had a hunch but didn't post it because I didn't think the athlete had passed away. I wikied the name and found that I should have just gone with my hunch. When I saw the clue "Mutt" I thought it meant the athlete was short (as in "Mutt and Jeff"). So when the riddle is solved please explain "Mutt."

Comment

"Mutt" was a family nickname for this Olympic champion. This name was used throughout this athlete's career.

Comment

I know the answer, but i have what is perhaps an arcane technical reason to disagree with the conclusion that the athlete has a last-name connection with the Sydney gold medalist you have in mind.

Comment

Larry Black?

Comment

Larry Black was born 70 years ago yesterday (Tuesday) in Miami. Nice going, LopenUupunut. Larry Black took the silver medal in the 1972 Munich Olympic 200. He then ran the first leg on the winning four by 100 relay team in Munich. His cousin (Gerald Tinker) ran the third leg on this winning relay team. Black died in Miami at the age of 54 in 2006.

Thank you LopenUupunut.

Comment

Working...
                              X