Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big Event

This month's "Big Event" is a world record which was set on this date some 42 years ago.

Your job is to name the event, the athlete that set the mark, and the site of this record performance.

Extra credit if you can give the actual mark.

This world record was set in a capital city and a very soon-to-be Olympic city.

The world record in this event was broken this year (2021).

At this time (42 years ago), this particular event was dominated by athletes from a certain section of Europe.

There are four digits found in this world record, each number is different from the other three digits, and none of the digits are "1", "2", "3", "6', "9", or "0".

Can you give the event, the athlete's name, and/or the mark that was set?

Please remember that no research is allowed.

No means nothing at all, just your brain.

Give it a go and good luck.

To my dearest no researching brain
    Record presumably set in 1979 in Brisbane.
    But then Brisbane is not a capital city.
    But Paris has already hosted the Olympics

perhaps a field event if dominated by a sector of Europe? Hammer? Javelin?

And what order 4578?
    Perhaps 84.75?
    Perhaps the hammer?
    Perhaps Paris, although already an Olympic city?
    Last edited by Tuariki; 07-27-2021, 06:59 PM.

Comment

But cant be the hammer, recird not broken this year.

Comment

Women's 400m hurdles?
        54.78?

Back to sleep now.
        Brain is having an attack of wiki wihdrawal

Comment

What an interesting peek into what goes on in the mind of Tuariki. About half way through the clues, my brain got a cramp.

Comment

Tuariki, very well done. You not only got the event (women's 400 hurdles), but you also got the world record of July 27, 1979 (54.78). The name of the athlete setting this record is not easy to get and she changed her last name later in life.

Comment

Originally posted by DoubleRBar View Post
              Tuariki, very well done. You not only got the event (women's 400 hurdles), but you also got the world record of July 27, 1979 (54.78). The name of the athlete setting this record is not easy to get and she changed her last name later in life.
              Marina Makeyeva (?spelling) later Stepanova? I think she ran the first sub 53 under the latter name in 1986.

Was the city Moscow?

Comment

Originally posted by DoubleRBar View Post
                That was fun.

I needed to take half a dozen Dabigatran blood thinners as I think the brain got clogged up.

Just glad I got in before Olli, Bambam, Lopen and the Duke.

I wonder what the WR will be by the end of Tokyo.

Comment

Very good, Trickstat. It was Marina Makeyeva (later Stepanova). Yes, she did it in Moscow and another yes, she was the first woman to run under 53.00 which she did in September of 1986, in a meet in Tashkent (Soviet Union) where she broke another of her world records in this event. So, Marina set three world records in the women's 400 hurdles: 1. Marina Makeyeva ran 54.78 in 1979 in Moscow. 2. Marina Stepanova ran 53.32 in Stuttgart, West Germany in August of 1986. 3. Marina Stepanova ran 52.94 in Tashkent in September of 1986.

Good chance the world record in this event will not change during the Tokyo Olympics.

Thank you, Tuariki and Trickstat.

Comment

I see, very soon to be Olympic city meant “at the time, very soon to be”

Comment

Working...
                    X