Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by beebee View Post
    Many media outlets keep referring to this young man as "Carl Lewis' Godson" ignoring that he was Leroy Burrell's SON...effing disrespectful to Mr. Burrell.

So sorry for the Burrell family's loss
    The first 4 stories I found on Google barely mention Lewis and were quite specific on Leroy Burrell.

Comment

Interesting story from a year ago in the Times.

The World’s Fastest Family

There is a blessing and a curse to being the child of Olympic gold medalists. Cameron Burrell has world-beating speed in the family, but will that be enough?

Then there is Cameron Burrell, who won the N.C.A.A. championship at 100 meters in 2018. His best time is 9.93, making him one of the fastest sprinters in the world.
      Burrell’s father, Leroy, is an Olympic gold medalist and the former world-record holder in the 100 meters. His mother, Michelle Finn-Burrell, has a sprint relay gold medal from the 1992 Olympics, too. His aunt Dawn was an Olympic long jumper, and one of his godfathers is also a sprinter of some renown — Carl Lewis.

Now comes the hard part, because while it is certainly not easy to be among the very few to run 100 meters in less than 10 seconds, competing in the shadow of Olympic legends who happen to be in the family may be even more difficult. Also, the past two years, since Burrell completed his college career, have been filled with nagging injuries, periods of sagging confidence, logistical hassles, disappointing races, and now an Olympics delayed a year by a pandemic that has upset the structure and routine of an athlete who very much craves both.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/10/05/s...d-burrell.html

Comment

Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post

The first 4 stories I found on Google barely mention Lewis and were quite specific on Leroy Burrell.
        I'm now seeing changed updates...Yahoo, ESPN, TMZ, NYPost, People magazine, The Root, Daily Mail, among others had initially made the error.

Comment

Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post
          Cameron Burrell has world-beating speed in the family, but will that be enough?

Burrell’s father, Leroy, is an Olympic gold medalist.
          His mother, has a sprint relay gold medal from the 1992 Olympics.
          His aunt Dawn was an Olympic long jumper
          one of his godfathers is . . . Carl Lewis.

the past two years, since Burrell completed his college career [NCAA 100 Champion], have been filled with nagging injuries, periods of sagging confidence, logistical hassles, disappointing races.
          This year was probably his last realistic chance of going to the Olympics. With all the above, the disappointment in himself was probably overwhelming.

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post

This year was probably his last realistic chance of going to the Olympics. With all the above, the disappointment in himself was probably overwhelming.
            Everyone internalizes that stuff differently. There’s a clear need for better mental health services especially for our young people. My heart goes out to Cameron for what must have felt like an inescapable bad state of being. My heart goes out to his parents and family for a loss of a child and brother. I can’t even imagine the pain.

Comment

Working...
            X