Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R.I.P Yuriy Syedikh 1955-2021

According to a couple of tweets I saw--one from Sergey Bubka, The WR holder in the Hammer Throw--Yuriy Syedikh--has died at age 66!
    That's all I know right now!
    So sad to hear--and so young!
    Definitely a genuine All-Time Great!
    Not only in the Hammer throw, but in all of Track and Field!
    Last edited by aaronk; 09-14-2021, 05:38 PM.

https://youtu.be/zcZJUNc-CUo

Here's the WR throw, plus the whole series!

Comment

I forgot he was Ukrainian, like Bubka. Superlative athlete.

Comment

The AP article posted on the front page pulled no punches with respect to his, ahem, use of pharmaceuticals.

Comment

because of the drug use I don't consider him a WR holder

Comment

Originally posted by aaronk View Post
            According to a couple of tweets I saw--one from Sergey Bubka, The WR holder in the Hammer Throw--Yuriy Sedykh--has died at age 66!
            That's all I know right now!
            So sad to hear--and so young!
            Definitely a genuine All-Time Great!
            Not only in the Hammer throw, but in all of Track and Field!
            How much did his drug use contribute to his "heart attack"? Why do you consider a steroid abuser an all time great?

Comment

pointing drug fingers at athletes who never tested positive is a violation of board protocol; please stop

Comment

Those of us who were there in Stuttgart will never forget it. (Myself, GH and DJ are active on the board - anyone else from that trip?)

In rounds 4-5-6, Syedikh (there were various spellings over the years) set a WR, then produced the #2 throw ever, then collapsed in the final round with only the #4 throw ever. Most amazingly, all three throws would have landed inside a single hula hoop.

35 years later those rankings still hold. (Although there was a Belarussian thrower who snuck in there until going down on a positive test and his mark expunged.)

Syedikh is probably my favorite men's T&F athlete ever, and Marita Koch on the women's side. (Also got to see her in Stuttgart and Brussels in what might have been her final two competitions.) Also remembering that Syedikh spent a fair amount of time in the US trying to help improve the quality of American hammer throwing. My vague memory says he'd show up at the Kansas Relays.

Comment

Originally posted by cigar95 View Post
                  Those of us who were there in Stuttgart will never forget it. (Myself, GH and DJ are active on the board - anyone else from that trip?)

In rounds 4-5-6, Syedikh (there were various spellings over the years) set a WR, then produced the #2 throw ever, then collapsed in the final round with only the #4 throw ever. Most amazingly, all three throws would have landed inside a single hula hoop.

35 years later those rankings still hold. (Although there was a Belarussian thrower who snuck in there until going down on a positive test and his mark expunged.)

Syedikh is probably my favorite men's T&F athlete ever, and Marita Koch on the women's side. (Also got to see her in Stuttgart and Brussels in what might have been her final two competitions.) Also remembering that Syedikh spent a fair amount of time in the US trying to help improve the quality of American hammer throwing. My vague memory says he'd show up at the Kansas Relays.
                  As to the spelling of his name, I'm actually most familiar with the spelling you used--Syedikh!
                  But I didn't have the spelling in my headd, so I referred to my Athletics Annual 2021 & the A-T list--and they spell it as I did---Sedykh!
                  If you know how to change the title, please change the spelling to Syedikh!
                  Thanks!

ADD: I changed it--in the title and in my first post!
                  Last edited by aaronk; 09-14-2021, 05:39 PM.

Comment

RIP - like FloJo and Rudolf Harbig, an athlete whose World Record has outlived him.

Comment

He was listed initially as UKR within the USSR, then RUS. He became a French citizen in 2001. 9 other throwers have reached 275-0...Sedykh's top-100 throws including all within a series averaged 275-0 [83.83]

Comment

His WR is only the UKR record, with the Russian one being Litvinov’s 86.04.

Comment

In the 1987 USSR lists Sedykh is listed with his town of residency....Moskva. So he was sometimes thought of as RUS rather than Ukraine - though you are certainly correct about the 2 national records

Comment

Working...
                          X