• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Howard Cosell

Becca tweeted this link. Great stuff.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1449489234943950851

The man had big stones

Comment

HowWard, you can say he has a grating personality, but I love my grating friends, I hope someday I will be as smart and caring as they always are.

Comment

Still my favourite commentator, ever

Comment

Cosell was great on that then. Supported Ali after the draft conviction.

Comment

Howard Cosell Speaking of Sports would play on ABC radio during the 70's and 80's. It was a minute or so of Cosell expounding on some subject most didn't or wouldn't. He was probably the only broadcaster who'd do such without concern for anyone's feelings or for his job.

I recall him being voted the best and worst broadcaster in the same poll.

Comment

[QUOTE....
              I recall him being voted the best and worst broadcaster in the same poll.[/QUOTE]

yes, that was absolutely priceless

Comment

In his own words:

Arrogant, pompous, obnoxious, vain, cruel, persecuting, distasteful, verbose, a show-off. There's no question that I'm all of those things.

Comment

Originally posted by NotDutra5 View Post
                  Howard Cosell Speaking of Sports would play on ABC radio during the 70's and 80's. It was a minute or so of Cosell expounding on some subject most didn't or wouldn't. He was probably the only broadcaster who'd do such without concern for anyone's feelings or for his job.

I recall him being voted the best and worst broadcaster in the same poll.
                  There is far too much money in sports today to allow a Howard Cosell to exist.

Comment

My sister-in-law used to be a sportscaster back in the late 80s and early 90s before she started having kids. She ended up being the female sideline sportscaster for NESN (New England Sports Network) - well before Heidi Watney and the more current iterations.

Kathy got her start in sports working as an intern for ABC at the LA Olympics while she was in college. Her next role was also with ABC, which she got from the Olympics, when she was hired by them for Monday Night Football where her main job was to keep track of Howard Cosell's drinking and report to the bosses how much he had had and try to keep him under control.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave View Post

There is far too much money in sports today to allow a Howard Cosell to exist.
                      surely you jest! There are more people, and far more radicalizing people, making money in sports opinionating these days than ever. Howard would barely be recognized as a polarizing figure in today's marketplace.

Comment

Originally posted by gh View Post

surely you jest! There are more people, and far more radicalizing people, making money in sports opinionating these days than ever. Howard would barely be recognized as a polarizing figure in today's marketplace.
                        Are the radicalizing people of the same stature as Cossell?

Comment

Great stuff! I bet he never made the Christmas Card list of the likes of Avery Brundage.

Comment

That really aged well, didn't it?

Comment

Originally posted by gh View Post

I disagree. I can't imagine Bob Costas, Joe Buck or Al Michaels embracing such hot-button issues today, and even the loudmouths like Stephen A Smith, Jim Rome and Skip Bayless are only willing to push the envelope so far lest they get called on the carpet by their corporate bosses.
                              Last edited by jazzcyclist; 10-19-2021, 12:37 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X