Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
    Prelims absolutely don't count against you, because they are not races, per se, they are qualifiers, and the most energy conserved 'wins'.
    There ya go.! Simple.

Comment

Originally posted by lonewolf View Post

There ya go.! Simple.
      I think that is probably the right approach for the "lineal" champion as well.

On the basis that the lineal champion is "the man who beat the man", then if the champion withdraws injured then he doesn't lose his title. In boxing, its an contest between two people, so if one is injured then the contest does not take place. In the same way, if the "champion" is not in the contest then the "title" is not on the line. A race still occurs, its just not a "title fight" because "the man" is not in it.

If the champion retires then it is more complicated. In boxing, the "title" is considered vacant, and the organizing body somehow determines how it can be bestowed again (although it appears that the Featherweight title has been vacant since 2005). In these cases I have been awarding the "title" to whoever finished second in the retiring champion's final race, but perhaps it would be better to consider the title vacant and award it to the next winner of a global championship.

If the champion is disqualified for a false start, then its reasonable to consider him defeated by the winner of the race. If the champion is disqualified retrospectively, then the race is typically treated as if he had never been in it, which means it would work like a retirement, and the title would be vacant.

Doing it this way would change the list a bit over history.
      100m - A New Look at the World's Greatest Race

Comment

Originally posted by JC100 View Post
        The question is, who won the 100 metres sprint in the race in Atlanta on 13 April 1997?

1. 10.41 NGR Bode Osagiobare
        2. 10.47 USA Roosevelt Blackmon
        4. 10.78 AUS Damien Marsh
        5. 10.86 PAN Marco Belizaire

Found it through this google search:
        https://www.google.com/search?q=%221...&bih=625&dpr=1

Comment

Originally posted by bekayne2 View Post

1. 10.41 NGR Bode Osagiobare
          2. 10.47 USA Roosevelt Blackmon
          4. 10.78 AUS Damien Marsh
          5. 10.86 PAN Marco Belizaire

Found it through this google search:
          https://www.google.com/search?q=%221...&bih=625&dpr=1
          Excellent, thank you! I googled this many times in different ways, but your search was cleverer than any of mine. I had discovered that Blackmon finished second, but couldn't find the winner.

So, that means that the lineal champion would progress like this from WC 95 to WC 97 (dates in d/m/y):

Donovan Bailey (Gothenburg 6/8/1995)
          Linford Christie (Zurich 16/8/1995)
          Donovan Bailey (Berlin 1/9/1995)
          Damien Marsh (Monaco 9/9/1995)
          Rod Mapstone (Melbourne 29/2/1996)
          Damien Marsh (Sydney 9/3/1996)
          Bode Osagiobare (Atlanta 13/4/1997)
          Brian Lewis (Knoxville 24/5/1997) (this race is not in the World Athletics database)
          Frank Fredericks (St Denis 2/6/1997)
          Maurice Greene (Lausanne 2/7/1997)
          Ato Boldon (Stockholm 7/7/1997)
          Maurice Greene (Athens 3/8/1997)

At least, that's on the basis of races I know about. None of these were preliminary rounds.
          100m - A New Look at the World's Greatest Race

Comment

Working...
          X