Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Defected or Kidnapped?

Happy 72nd birthday today (Wednesday) to an Olympic champion who competed in two Olympic Games and won a total of five Olympic medals.

None of these five Olympic medals involved the hurdles.

Our birthday athlete won a complete set (gold, silver, & bronze) of Olympic medals and the spouse of our birthday individual won nine Olympic medals at three Olympic Games.

Turns out that this birthday athlete did not defect and was not kidnapped.

I imagine you must know the name of our birthday champion on this penultimate Wednesday of October.

Please give it your best shot and name this champion.

Remember, no research is allowed.

Valery Borzov - his wife is Lyudmila Turishcheva, Soviet gymnast from 1972-76

Comment

Originally posted by bambam1729 View Post
      Valery Borzov - his wife is Lyudmila Turishcheva, Soviet gymnast from 1972-76
      Hey, no Pro participants in this game!

Comment

Sorry, but I made a small mistake. I looked up Turishcheva (after I answered) and she also competed in 1968 - so 1968-76.

Comment

And the Turischeva clue was the key to answering that - 9 medals for a woman pretty much narrows it down to gymnastics or swimming, and with the era having to be 1972-76, that gives you Borzov.

Comment

Happy birthday today (72) to Valeriy Borzov. Very good, bambam1729.

Valeriy Borzov was born in what is now the Ukraine. He won the 1972 Munich Olympic 100 and the 200. He anchored the Soviet Union's four by 100 relay that took the silver medal (U.S. won gold).

Borzov was 26 in Montreal (1976) when he got the 100 bronze and another bronze in the four by 100 relay (U.S. gold again).

You are correct about his wife, bambam1729.

Thank you, bambam1729 and Atticus.

Comment

Originally posted by DoubleRBar View Post
              He anchored the Soviet Union's four by 100 relay that took the silver medal (U.S. won gold).

and another bronze in the four by 100 relay (U.S. gold again).
              Ahh, fond memories of the days when the US could get the stick from start line to the finish

Comment

Yes, we got the stick from the start to the finish in Rome (1960), but unfortunately the passing zone was another problem. An interesting relay (maybe) might be the four by 100 with no passing zones and no rules concerning where a team must pass the baton. All teams would be required to use four runners and to pass the regular three times, however if a relay team wants to have a runner go for 150 meters, then the remaining three runners must divide the other 250 meters between those three runners. One rule I would add is that if a team drops the baton and that baton hits the ground, then that team is automatically disqualified. You can't bend over, pick up the dropped baton, and continue the race.

This would be similar to the long jump and/or triple jump with "no fouls" All jumps would be measured from the point of takeoff (using a laser camera).

I am not proposing that we replace the current four by 100 relay rules or the horizontal jump rules. I am just saying I think it might be interesting to see (like maybe at a relay meet or some high school meet).

Comment

With a no foul LJ, we will soon see a new record.... with an asterisk.

Comment

Originally posted by lonewolf View Post
                    Indeed. When is a record not a record? When it does not conform to the rules that previous records did (PV pegs now make it harder!)

Comment

Originally posted by lonewolf View Post
                      And while we are at it, bring back the somersault.

Comment

I have no objection to somersault.... if jumper signs a liability disclaimer.

Comment

[QUOTE=Tuariki;n1727395]

And while we are at it, bring back the somersault. [/QUOTE

Maybe reinstate it with a pike position, this time. Add extra style.

Comment

Originally posted by DoubleRBar View Post
                            Happy birthday today (72) to Valeriy Borzov. Very good, bambam1729.

Valeriy Borzov was born in what is now the Ukraine.
                            No, actually it is now Ukraine, not the Ukraine. And it does matter.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Is+i...h=722&dpr=1.25

Comment

Originally posted by tandfman View Post
                              No, actually it is now Ukraine, not the Ukraine. And it does matter.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Is+i...h=722&dpr=1.25
                              Only one nation still accepts the use of the English "the" as a prefix to their country's name. Can you name it?

Comment

Working...
                              X