Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nickolas Senn

Happy birthday today (Friday) to an Olympic champion who was born on a Wednesday 108 years ago and died on a Wednesday just 17 days after turning 93.

Our birthday athlete competed in two Olympic Games and in two different events, however not in the hurdles.

Three people (from the same country as our birthday individual) may help you name this Olympian who competed in two different events at those two Olympic Games.

These three people will be known as "X", "Y", and "Z".

Person "X" is the oldest of the three, while "Z" is the youngest of the three people.

One of the three won an Olympic gold medal (in one of the events our birthday athlete competed in at both Olympics) and also shares the same initials as our birthday champion.

Another of the three people was born about 29 years after our birthday athlete and appeared in some movies and television.

The third person died at the age of 86 and also appeared in movies and television.

You might already know that our birthday athlete was born and won Olympic gold in the same country.

"X", "Y", and "Z" were all born in the same country as our birthday person.

Can you figure out this acronym: S.O.T.P.? It might help you identify person "Y".

How about M.M.C.? Solving this acronym could help with person "Z".

"Z" shares the same first name as our birthday individual while "Y" has the same last name as our birthday athlete.

Did I tell you that our birthday champion won Olympic gold with a world record?

Please see if you can name our birthday athlete on this 43rd Friday of 2021.

An American who competed 1932 and 1936, who won gold in LA.

Comment

Tuariki, you are good. It is an American who competed in Los Angeles (1932) and again in Berlin (1936), but what are S.O.T.P. and M.M.C.?

Comment

Originally posted by DoubleRBar View Post
        Tuariki, you are good. It is an American who competed in Los Angeles (1932) and again in Berlin (1936), but what are S.O.T.P. and M.M.C.?
        SOTP
        Sick Of This Place?
        Silly Old Track Posters?

MMC
        Made Me Cry?
        Marymont Manhattan College?

Comment

I got
          But I had to cheat

I guessed MMC correctly
          And in checking and working backwards with Aubty Google, I was able to work it out.

Bloody difficult.

Probably only Bambam can work it out

Comment

Originally posted by Tuariki View Post
            I got
            But I had to cheat

I guessed MMC correctly
            And in checking and working backwards with Aubty Google, I was able to work it out.

Bloody difficult.

Probably only Bambam can work it out
            No, I wouldn't have gotten this one. I looked it up already. Its a tough one.

Comment

Ok, here's some additional help. Our birthday athlete won two Olympic gold medals in the same event.

Person "X" (with the same initials) was born the same year as Dwight D. Eisenhower (1890) and won Olympic gold in a capital city in Europe.

Person "Y" (with same last name) could yodel with the best of them, had his own television show, and sang in a famous western group (S.O.T.P.).

Person "Z" (with same first name) was part of a very famous television group (M.M.C.) based in Burbank, California and died from complications of multiple sclerosis at the age of 70.

If you are not an American (especially one who was watching television in the 1950's), this could be tough.

Keep trying and good luck.

Comment

There aren't that many US athletes who won gold in '32 and also competed in '36. Off the top of my head:
                - Frank Wykoff
                - Annette Rogers
                - and... whoever it is that I'm forgetting?

The birthday athlete certainly isn't Wykoff, so I'll take a stab at Rogers. No idea about S.O.T.P. or M.M.C.; but the same-event gold medalist might be Alma Richards.

Comment

Roy Rogers is "y"; sang with Sons of the Pioneers (S.O.T.P.)
                  Last edited by J Rorick; 10-23-2021, 01:50 AM.

Comment

And Annette Funicello is "z"; she was in Mickey Mouse Club. So Lopenuupunut is correct with his Annette Rogers "stab."

Comment

Annette Rogers was born 108 years ago today in Massachusetts. Very well done, LopenUupunut.

Rogers was sixth in the women's high jump at the 1932 Los Angeles Olympics. She ran the third leg on the winning four by 100 relay which set a world record of 46.9.

She did the same two events in 1936 (Berlin). This time she was tied for fifth place in the high jump (1.55 or 5' 1") and she ran the second leg on the winning U.S. four by 100 relay team (they ran 46.9 again).

Nice job, J Rorick. Person "Y" is Roy Rogers and yes, he sang with the Suns of the Pioneers.

Thank you LopenUupunut, Tuariki, bambam1729, and J Rorick.
                      Last edited by DoubleRBar; 10-23-2021, 03:50 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by DoubleRBar View Post
                        Thank you LopenUupunut, Tuariki, bambam 1729, and J Rorick.
                        Well, I didn't do anything except admit I had looked and couldn't answer but it was difficult.

One small error. You said she competed in two different events, but she competed in three - HJ and 4x100 in 1932 and 100, HJ, and 4x100 in 1936.

Comment

Yes, you are correct. I forgot to say that Rogers placed fifth in the women's 100 in Berlin (1936). Thank you, bambam1729.

Annette Funicello is right, Rorick. All those extra clues did make a big difference.

Comment

Excluding, perhaps, pre WWI Olympics, there must be very few who have competed at the Olympics in the individual/open 100m and HJ?

Comment

Originally posted by Trickstat View Post
                              Excluding, perhaps, pre WWI Olympics, there must be very few who have competed at the Olympics in the individual/open 100m and HJ?
                              Its been done 15 times, most of them at the same Olympics, although it has been awhile.

Class Year Event UGN USN NOC
                              Men 1896/1906 100/HJ; HJ Fritz Hofmann GER
                              Men 1896 100/HJ Henrik Sjöberg SWE
                              Men 1906 100/HJ Gustav Krojer AUT
                              Men 1906 100/HJ Aage Petersen DEN
                              Men 1906 100/HJ Gunnar Rönström SWE
                              Men 1906 100/HJ Otto Bock DEN
                              Men 1906 100/HJ Nikolaos Mourmouris GRE
                              Men 1912 100/HJ Marius Delaby FRA
                              Men 1952 100/HJ Emad Shafei EGY
                              Women 1928 100/HJ Sidonie Verschueren BEL
                              Women 1928/1932 100/HJ Marjorie Clark RSA
                              Women 1932/1936 HJ; 100/HJ Annette Rogers USA
                              Women 1936/1948/1952 HJ; 100; 100 Fanny Blankers-Koen NED
                              Women 1948 100/HJ Elisabeth Müller BRA
                              Women 1960/1972 HJ; 100 Ingrid Mickler-Becker GER

Comment

Working...
                              X