Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alex Quinonez R.I.P.

The 2019 Doha Bronze winner in the 200, Alex Quinonez, was found dead in the street from an apparent shooting in Ecuador.
    While the cases are entirely different, the deaths of Quinonez and Agnes Tirop by violence has got to stop!!!

200m Bronze Medallist 2019 in Doha was murdered by strangers yesterday in Guayaquil, Ecuador.

Descansa en paz campéon!

Comment

By my count that's 4 international level T&F athletes murdered/killed in the last 7-10 days

Comment

Tragic, it was amazing to see him grab the bronze in Doha after an amazing season where he ran sub 20 on three occasions.

Between Abdalelah Haroun, Cameron Burell, Agnes Tirop and now Quinonez, this has been a rough year for young athletes in our sport. 😢
        ​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by bambam1729 View Post
          By my count that's 4 international level T&F athletes murdered/killed in the last 7-10 days
          The Ecuador city he was in has had a lot violence lately.

Comment

Unfortunately, too many world cities have way too much gun violence.

Comment

So sorry to hear of this. But, I have a sneaky suspicion there is more to this story.

Comment

Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post

The Ecuador city he was in has had a lot violence lately.
                According to Wikipedia, Guayaquil has had a lot of violence since it's foundation. It also had major problems during the pandemic. I wouldn't be surprised if the pandemic made things a lot worse than normal.

Curiously, it's the birthplace of Mike Judge, the creator of Beavis and Butthead.

Comment

This topic being moved into 'historical' would be sardonic if it weren't such a serious thing. Why is this "Historical"? This is Current Events, news of someone who was a participating elite athlete.

Comment

Although the event is a current event, it is not about competition and on death the personage becomes historical??

Comment

This is the traditional thread for posting RIPs.

Comment

And since I post a lot of the RIPs, as lonewolf said, this is where I typically post them. Quinonez is a little more current than most of the RIPs I post.

Comment

Originally posted by bambam1729 View Post
                          And since I post a lot of the RIPs, as lonewolf said, this is where I typically post them. Quinonez is a little more current than most of the RIPs I post.
                          Agreed. For past, retired greats, the Historical forum makes sense. For current athletes, it makes sense to be in Current Events. Just my thoughts on something as sensitive as this

Comment

Working...
                          X