Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• M*A*S*H

Happy birthday today (Monday) to an Olympic champion who was more famous for accomplishments after the Olympics than for winning that Olympic gold medal.

Born 121 years ago today, our birthday champion competed in one Olympic Games and in only one event (and not the hurdles).

Two people can give you big clues as to the name of this Olympic champion.

The first of those two people shares the same last name as our birthday individual and appeared in a widely popular American television show during the 1970's.

You might recognize the second of the two people because he was married to Anne Hathaway and shares the same first name as our birthday athlete.

Our birthday Olympian won that Olympic gold medal the same year that Jimmy Carter was born and died at the age of 84.

A world record came with the gold medal won by our birthday person.

I would imagine that at least three of you now know the name of our birthday athlete on this final Monday of October.

Please put on your "thinking cap" and name this Olympic champion.

Quick conclusions
    Para 1 - must be Bruce Jenner
    Para 2 - not Jenner, too young
    Para 2 - maybe Johhny Weissmuller
    Oops, he's swimmer
    Para 4 - Spock? Wrong show
    Alan Alda? Big boobs Houlihan?
    Para 5 - Michael Moscovitz cos I think he married Princess Mia
    Para 6 - 1924 Olympics cos Jimmy is 97
    Para 8 - I am, I am, I am. OK, I am not one of those 3

Comment

This might be difficult without knowing the two people I mentioned in the clues.

Comment

I wish I was the 2nd person

Comment

William Stevenson? Based on the Shakespeare clue and off-track accomplishments.

Comment

Originally posted by LopenUupunut View Post
            William Stevenson? Based on the Shakespeare clue and off-track accomplishments.
            Aha, that Anne Hathaway.

Comment

And Lt Col Henry Blake - McLean Stevenson

Comment

William Stevenson was born in Illinois 121 years ago today. Very well done, LopenUupunut.

Stevenson ran the second leg (49.2) on the U.S. four by 400 relay that got the gold medal at the 1924 Paris Olympic Games. The Americans ran 3:16.0 for a world record.

Of course William Shakespeare shares the same first name and McLean Stevenson (M*A*S*H) has the same last name (they were cousins).

William Stevenson was the president of Oberlin College in Ohio from 1946 to 1959. He had been a Rhodes Scholar and later was the ambassador to the Philippines from 1961 to 1964.

Thank you, LopenUupunut and Tuariki.

Comment

Working...
                X