Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ann Darrow

Happy birthday today (Friday) to an Olympic champion who was born on a Friday 112 years ago today and died on the first day of the first month of an Olympic year at the age of 70.

This champion competed in three Olympic Games and won an Olympic gold medal at each of those three Games.

Don't even think about the hurdles for this athlete's Olympic career.

A famous film star, who was born about two years before our birthday, athlete shares the same initials as our birthday individual.

One year after our birthday person won the second of three Olympic gold medals, a film called "King Kong" was released and did well at the box office.

Our birthday champion competed in two events at the first and last of those three Olympic Games.

Did I tell you that the famous film star (with same initials as our birthday athlete) was born in a country which borders the country in which our birthday individual was born (an died)?

Two of the three Olympic gold medals that our birthday athlete won came from Europe.

I will bet that you know the name of our birthday champion on this fifth Friday of October,

Please name this Olympic champion without using any reference.

The age plus the 3 golds makes Frank Wykoff an easy answer. 4x100 relay 3 times, 28,32,36.

Comment

Fay Wray, from my home province Alberta!

Comment

Frank Wykoff was born in Iowa 112 years ago today. Good work, dukehjsteve.

Very nice, noone. Fay Wray was born in Alberta, Canada 114 years ago (last month).

Frank Wykoff was the first man in Olympic history to win three Olympic gold medals in the relays.

He went to USC and made three U.S. Olympic teams: In 1928 (Amsterdam), Wykoff was fourth in the 100 and six days later he ran the first leg on the winning four by 100 relay which tied the world record of 41.0.

In 1932 (Los Angeles), Frank anchored the winning four by 100 relay to a world record of 40.0.

In 1936 (Berlin), he again was fourth place in the 100 and six days later he again anchored the winning four by 100 relay to another world record (39.8).

Frank Wykoff died in Southern California in 1980 at the age of 70.

Thank you, dukehjsteve and noone.

Comment

Originally posted by DoubleRBar View Post

Frank Wykoff was the first man in Olympic history to win three Olympic gold medals in the relays.
          Has anybody else done it since? I mean won, and got to keep the medal!

Comment

Originally posted by noone View Post

Has anybody else done it since? I mean won, and got to keep the medal!
            Evelyn Ashford: 1984, 1988, 1992

Comment

If we include the 4×400, then add two more:

Sanya Richards-Ross: 2004, 2008, 2012
              Allyson Felix: 2008, 2012, 2016, 2020

Comment

All three are women. Wykoff still the only man to win three Olympic relay gold medals?

Comment

Fay Wray was invited back to Cardston by a good friend of mine, Howard Snyder. Click on the link below for an interview on CBC . (Sorry, there are 3 ads to sit through)

HTTPS://CBC.ca/archives/entry/king-Kongs-fay-Wray-goes-home
                  noone
                  Last edited by noone; 10-30-2021, 06:27 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by DoubleRBar View Post
                    Wykoff still the only man to win three Olympic relay gold medals?
                    Yes

Comment

Working...
                    X