Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are Both Fast Starters?

Happy birthday today (Halloween Sunday) to two Olympic champions with a total age today of 134 years and a total of three Olympic gold medals.

These two athletes were born approximately 4,920 miles (7,917 kms) from each other, however both spent time as youngsters in the same country.

Both attended fairly famous schools before winning those three Olympic gold medals and both won Olympic gold medals in the same country in which they were born.

The older champion was 14 years old when the younger individual was born.

Of course you must know that these two athletes did not compete in the hurdles at the Olympics.

Some of you probably already know who these birthday champions are, so please go ahead and name both on this last Sunday of October.

Frank Shorter, born in Germany while his father served overseas, is the older.

Comment

Alice Brown couls be the other.

Comment

Happy 74th birthday today to Frank Shorter. Nice going, KDFINE.

Today is not Alice Brown's birthday, but it's not a bad guess.

Frank Shorter was born in Munich, West Germany and competed in the 10,000 and then the marathon at the 1972 Munich Olympics.

He was fifth place in the 10,000 and one week later, he won the Olympic marathon in the city where he was born about 25 years before these Games.

In Montreal (1976), Shorter took the Olympic silver medal in the marathon.

I said your guess of Alice Brown was not a bad guess because she won Olympic gold at the same Olympics as our other birthday athlete.

Thank you, KDFINE.

Comment

O.K. I'm pretty sure that I know the other now. Am I allowed a second shot or must I leave it for someone else?

Comment

Yes, you may make guesses as much as you like...without any research. You can only make one guess per post and your next guess must follow a response from me. In other words, you can't make more than one guess on any post.
            Last edited by DoubleRBar; 10-31-2021, 06:56 PM.

Comment

Alonzo Babers

Comment

Originally posted by KDFINE View Post
                O.K. I'm pretty sure that I know the other now. Am I allowed a second shot or must I leave it for someone else?
                Oops
                You got slam-bammed

Comment

Alonzo Babers was born 60 years ago today in Montgomery, Alabama. Very good, bambam1729.

Babers, a graduate of the Air Force Academy in Colorado Springs, Colorado, won the Olympic gold medal in the men's 400 at the 1984 Los Angeles Olympic Games. Three days after winning that 400, he ran the third leg (43.75) on the winning four by 400 relay in Los Angeles.

Both Shorter and Babers lived in West Germany when their fathers served in the military. Shorter's father was a doctor and Frank almost went in that direction. Alonzo became an airline pilot (United, I believe), flying the Boeing 777.

Thank you, bambam1729 and Tuariki.

Comment

Was Shorter born on a U.S. military base in West Germany? Might the answer to that question affect his citizenship?

Comment

If you are born outside of the United States to American parents, you are still an American citizen.

Some military bases are leased by the U.S. from different countries and some are not leased.

That can make it a difference from an American embassy which is American "territory" (or land).

Comment

Originally posted by DoubleRBar View Post
                        Yes, you may make guesses as much as you like...without any research. You can only make one guess per post and your next guess must follow a response from me. In other words, you can't make more than one guess on any post.
                        So once you said that the other birthday athlete won gold at the same games as the birthday athlete I could have then written Babers. (Been away all day anyway.)

Comment

I think Alice Brown was the answer to a quiz in the fairly recent past. That may be a way to have eliminated her in this one.

Comment

I knew it wasn't Anatoly Bondarchuk or Ato Boldon, the first two AB's that popped into my head.

Comment

Originally posted by noone View Post
                              I knew it wasn't Anatoly Bondarchuk or Ato Boldon, the first two AB's that popped into my head.
                              first AB that should pop into your head would be Alberta! :-)

Comment

Working...
                              X