Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big Event

This month's (November) "Big Event" was a world record which happened on this day 68 years ago.

The athlete that set this world record was born in the same country in which this world record was set.

You might be interested to know that the person who set this record held the "old" world record which was set about three years before this "new" world record.

Did I mention that the athlete who set this world mark won Olympic gold (plural) about one year before setting this "Big Event" world record?

Just about exactly seven months after setting this world record, the athlete responsible for the record set another world record in the same event.

I can tell you that this athlete (that set the world record) did not compete in the Olympic hurdles.

Pretty much all of this (world records & Olympics) happened in Europe.

Now is the time to name the athlete, the event, the place where this "Big Event" happened, and, for extra credit, give the mark which was established 68 years ago today in Europe.

Remember, no research is allowed in this contest and only one guess per post.

Thank you and good luck.

Originally posted by DoubleRBar View Post
    This month's (November) "Big Event" was a world record which happened on this day 68 years ago.
    Ahh yes, 1953.
    The last time Wales beat the All Blacks.
    Wales have now lost the last 32 tests. Including 3 days ago, 54-16.

Oops, wrong sport.

Comment

Putting blatant nationalism aside, I would guess Emil Zatopek,
      5000 or 10000

Comment

Tuariki, you're on a roll. Emil Zatopek broke his own world record in the 10,000 on the first day of November in 1953.

Where was this world record set and extra credit for the actual mark (good luck with that)? I can tell you that his time was less than two seconds from breaking through a major barrier.

Comment

Since you wrote "The athlete that set this world record was born in the same country in which this world record was set", Prague is an obvious guess.

And the time must have been somewhere between 29.01 and 29.02.

Comment

Close enough, Olli. The record in 1953 was set in Stara Boleslav which is about 18 miles (29 kms) from Prague. Zatopek ran 29:01.6 to break his own world record of 29:02.6 (from 1950). In 1954, he ran 28:54.2 in Brussels to become the first under 29 minutes.

Thank you, Olli.

Comment

Working...
            X