Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jim Ryun's Munich fall

It was a shame that Jim Ryun's appeal was denied and he was not reinstated following his fall at the Olympics. He certainly would have been allowed to continue if it happened today.

His petition for reinstatement was actually written by Howard Cosell.

True, and Jon Drummond wouldn't be DQ'ed nowadays.

Comment

My recollection is faulty, but I think Ryun had run a fast mile in Toronto not long before the OG began, so he had returned to top fitness, and might have been ready for a gold medal

Comment

He ran 3:52.8....

Comment

Thanks for that info. His WR mile had been 3:51.1, so a very fast time for that era.

Comment

It definitely would have been very interesting with Jim Ryun in the Munich Olympic final. Hard to say if he would have won the gold medal, but he certainly had a chance at it.

Comment

Originally posted by Django View Post
              My recollection is faulty, but I think Ryun had run a fast mile in Toronto not long before the OG began, so he had returned to top fitness, and might have been ready for a gold medal
              My recollection was that Ryun was very up and down during 1972. He did run the quick race in Toronto but he also had some really down races. I'd have to find my Olympic preview issue from 1972 but I'm not sure he was considered either favorite or co-favorite at that point.

Comment

Originally posted by NotDutra5 View Post

My recollection was that Ryun was very up and down during 1972. He did run the quick race in Toronto but he also had some really down races. I'd have to find my Olympic preview issue from 1972 but I'm not sure he was considered either favorite or co-favorite at that point.
                From that issue:

Form Chart

B. Kipchoge Keino (Ken)-Jim Ryun (US).
                D. Francesco Arese (It)-Mike Boit (Ken)-Brendan Foster (GB)-Mansour Guettaya (Tun)-Ulf Hogberg (Swe)-Klaus-Peter Justus (EG)-Frank Murphy (Eire)-Cosmas Silei (Ken)-Ray Smedley (GB)-Henryk Szordykowski (Pol)-Bodo Tummler (WG)-Pekka Vasala (Fin)-Dave Wottle (US).

'Expert' Predictions

BN Ryun Keino Vasala Boit Arese Smedley
                CN Ryun Keino Arese Vasala Boit Wottle
                DD Keino Ryun Vasala Boit Arese Guettaya
                RQ Ryun Keino Wottle Boit Tummler Justus
                MW Ryun Keino Vasala Foster Boit Arese
                JP Ryun Keino Arese Boit Wottle Vasala
                All Ryun Keino Vasala Boit Arese Wottle

Comment

Ryun had run 4:19 in the Coliseum ("Vons Classic?) not long before the 3:52, which was "x,3" at the time it was run.

Comment

In 1972 Ryun was training at UCSB, where I still had some connections. A couple of people I knew were stunned when he ran the 4:19 at in LA. They swore that only a few days before Ryun was running brutal repeat miles well under 4:10 with minimal rest in between. Certainly was an up and down year for him. What a disappointment for him, and the world, that he fell.

Comment

Originally posted by cigar95 View Post
                      Ryun had run 4:19 in the Coliseum ("Vons Classic?) not long before the 3:52, which was "x,3" at the time it was run.
                      Looked up his significant record that season in the pages of T&FN:

Date
                      Meet
                      Event
                      Round
                      Place
                      Performance
                      March 4 Los Angeles Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum Meet of Champions
                      Mile
                      4:19.2
                      April 22 Lawrence Kansas Memorial Stadium Kansas Relays
                      Mile
                      3:57.1
                      April 29 Des Moines Drake Stadium Drake Relays
                      Mile
                      4:09.0
                      May 14 Philadelphia Franklin Field Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. International Freedom Games
                      Mile
                      4:14.2
                      June 9 Los Angeles Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum Vons Classic
                      Mile
                      3:57.3
                      July 8 Eugene Hayward Field Olympic Trials
                      F
                      3:41.5
                      July 29 Toronto Canadian National Exhibition Stadium (?) Metro Toronto Police Games
                      Mile
                      3:52.8
                      September 8 Munich Olympic Stadium Olympic Games
                      H
                      3:51.5 (fell)
                      September 13 Rome Olympic Stadium (?) Zauli Memorial
                      3:44.3

Comment

I suspect if Ryun was from the Soviet Union or East Germany, he would have been reinstated lickety-split.

Comment

Originally posted by jc203 View Post
                          In.... What a disappointment for him, and the world, that he fell.
                          I believe the correct term is "fell"

Comment

Originally posted by Chicago View Post
                            I suspect if Ryun was from the Soviet Union or East Germany, he would have been reinstated lickety-split.
                            I don't think there was any rule allowing advancement in such a manner until several years later. At the 1990 European Champs, Peter Elliott fell in the 1500 heat and was advanced to the final. I think the rules in 1990 only allowed this to happen if another athlete was considered at fault and was disqualified.

Comment

I had forgotten that he had run such poor times ( for him) as 4:19 in March of 1972, and its very interesting to learn that, just days earlier, he had done incredible workouts at UCSB. In retrospect, I wonder if he was “training through” some of those early races, planning to peak at the OGs? At that point, I think he was self-coached, and coaches of the era such as Bowerman might have advised him about the benefits of rest in a training program.
                              He’s now a friend of a friend, and I might possibly be able to ask through my friend about what was happening that resulted in those huge fluctuations in performances.

Comment

Working...
                              X