Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jumping Statistics Reflect Leapers

Happy birthday today (Saturday) to two Olympic champions who were born in the same country and won Olympic gold medals in the same event.

The older athlete was 13 when the younger person was born.

One of these champions won Olympic gold in the same country where this athlete was born while the other Olympian was born on a Sunday and died on a Sunday at the age of 72.

No hurdles were involved with these individuals at the Olympic Games.

It has been a total of 233 years since the births of our birthday athletes.

They competed in a total of three Olympic Games.

You might already know that one of our champions competed in the Olympic Games as a teenager while the other athlete married an Olympian.

Both champions competed in the Olympic Games which were held in Europe.

Time to name our birthday athletes on this penultimate Saturday of November.

Good luck and please remember, no research is allowed in this contest.

Sherlock Clouseau here.
    Older athlete born in 1898, younger in 1911.
    The younger athlete must have competed in 1928 Games as a 19 year old as unlikely in 1924 as a 15 year old.
    The older athlete was a teenager from 1911 to 1917, so those dates cut him out.

OK, I need a break to go smoke my pipe and speak to my pink panther.

Comment

The title of the thread suggests high jump, or may be long jump or triple jump.
      As both athletes from the same country, therefore most likely USA
      JS could therefore be Jill Shirley in the women's high jump when she beat Babe Didrickson
      RL suggests a USA male high jumper 1920/1924/1928.
      Don't know.

Comment

My initial guess on seeing the thread title was Javier Sotomayor, but then I decided he probably wasn't quite old enough.
        And now getting ready to leave for the stadium to compete in the South Island masters throws pentathlon.
        Weather is cloudy, temperature 15 degrees C (59F).
        Last competition in the M65-69.
        2 weeks time I get to use the 4kg shot, hammer and 7.26 weight.

Comment

Jean Shiley was born 110 years ago today. Good job, Tuariki, even if you called her "Jill Shirley".

Jean Shiley was 16 years old when she placed fourth in the 1928 (Amsterdam) Olympic women's high jump.

Four years later in Los Angeles (1932) she won the Olympic gold medal with a world record of 1.65 (5' 5"). Most of you know the story that she beat Babe Didriksen (who also cleared 1.65). Didriksen and Shiley had a jump-off with both women clearing 1.67 (world records were not allowed in jump-offs in 1932). Didriksen was disqualified because she was jumping head-first over the bar.

Thank you, Tuariki and best of luck at the South Island masters throws pentathlon. Keep us posted on the results.

Comment

Richard Landon hj 1920

Comment

Richmond Landon was born in Connecticut 123 years ago today. Nice going, dukehjsteve.

Landon graduated from Yale and made the U.S. Olympic team to Antwerp in 1920. In Antwerp, Landon won the high jump at 1.936 (6' 4"). He married Alice Lord in 1922 whom he met on the ship taking the U.S. team to Belgium. Alice Lord was on the American diving team in Antwerp.

Landon died in New York at the age of 72 in 1971.

Thank you, dukehjsteve.
              Last edited by DoubleRBar; 11-23-2021, 01:17 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by DoubleRBar View Post
                Richard Landon was born in Connecticut 123 years ago today. Nice going, dukehjsteve.

Landon graduated from Yale and made the U.S. Olympic team to Antwerp in 1920. In Antwerp, Landon won the high jump at 1.936 (6' 4"). He married Alice Lord in 1922 whom he met on the ship taking the U.S. team to Belgium. Alice Lord was on the American diving team in Antwerp.

Landon died in New York at the age of 72 in 1971.

Thank you, dukehjsteve.
                Just to be really picky, its actually Richmond Landon

Comment

Originally posted by bambam1729 View Post

Just to be really picky, its actually Richmond Landon
                  Bambam has definitely arrived back from Paris

Comment

I should know that. Thank you, bambam1729.

Comment

Working...
                    X