Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

John Carlos, but with a different slant.

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• John Carlos, but with a different slant.

John Carlos is of course a familiar name to track fans. I believe it’s fair to say that his fame is to a large part due to the 1968 podium protest. Else his name would have faded into obscurity, like 200m medalists James Gathers (bronze in 1952), Les Carney (silver 1960) or Michael Bates (bronze 1992).

That made me think what other athletes are remembered primarily for something they did at the Olympics that, for better or for worse, overshadowed their actual performance. I came up with Lutz Long and Zola Budd.

Originally posted by noone View Post
    John Carlos is of course a familiar name to track fans. I believe it’s fair to say that his fame is to a large part due to the 1968 podium protest. Else his name would have faded into obscurity, like 200m medalists James Gathers (bronze in 1952), Les Carney (silver 1960) or Michael Bates (bronze 1992).

That made me think what other athletes are remembered primarily for something they did at the Olympics that, for better or for worse, overshadowed their actual performance. I came up with Lutz Long and Zola Budd.
    I think many more people would know Eric Liddle as being the man who wouldn't run on a Sunday rather than as the winner of the 400m in 1924. I guess that's being remembered for something he didn't do at the Olympics!

This would be a short list. Most medalists are remembered more for their performances than other stuff which also occurred at the time. Agree entirely on Lutz Long - I even had to look up where he finished in the long jump!

In swimming, Mack Horton's refusal to stand on the podium with Sun Yang is an obvious case, although it was at a World Championship rather than Olympics.

Comment

Eddie Hart / Rey Robinson come to mind. Ditto Wayne Collett / Vince Matthews

Comment

It is an endless list....if folks remember an Olympian it rarely is for a sporting nature.

Comment

Dave Wottle forgetting to take off his hat during his gold medal ceremony (1972) would have to be on this list.

Comment

Originally posted by Alan Sigmon View Post
            Dave Wottle forgetting to take off his hat during his gold medal ceremony (1972) would have to be on this list.
            perhaps for people who only saw it on TV, but if you were there you'll never attach him to anything but his last 200

Comment

On TV it was the same. I forgot all about the hat thing.

Comment

The Stella Walsh story pretty interesting.

Comment

Derek Redmond

Comment

From Munich: the athletes involved in the pole vault controversy and the Russian and American basketball teams.

Comment

Originally posted by Chicago View Post
                      From Munich: the athletes involved in the pole vault controversy and the Russian and American basketball teams.
                      Let's not forget the murdered Israelis.

Comment

Originally posted by tandfman View Post

Let's not forget the murdered Israelis.
                        And the runner that sneaked onto the track at the Marathon finish ahead of Shorter.

Comment

Originally posted by Alcyallen View Post
                          The Stella Walsh story pretty interesting.
                          I said something they did at the Olympics.

Comment

Think about it, it just took some time to find out about it. She/him has a unique place in Olympic history.
                            Last edited by Alcyallen; 11-24-2021, 06:29 PM.

Comment

A guy running as a woman winning the Olympics..I think that qualifies.

Comment

Working...
                              X