Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

John Carlos, but with a different slant.

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post

A guy running as a woman winning the Olympics..I think that qualifies.
    Not touching this.

Comment

Originally posted by gh View Post

perhaps for people who only saw it on TV, but if you were there you'll never attach him to anything but his last 200
      Yes, after I posted my initial comment, I re-considered and realized that Wottle's race was in itself even more memorable.

Comment

Vanderlei de Lima at the Athens 2004 OG marathon. Heart breaking.

Comment

Originally posted by J Rorick View Post

Not touching this.
          The WR book...

Comment

Stella Walsh on the right. How in the hell did that work, wow!!!

gettyimages-3346413.jpg?itok=5-y8Jyaa.jpg
            Last edited by Alcyallen; 11-24-2021, 11:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post
              On TV it was the same. I forgot all about the hat thing.
              On TV, the commentator (Mackay?) said, right after the anthem "that's an American who is proud of his country", an obvious comparison to Matthews and Collett. At that time there was no mention of the hat. Only when he interviewed Wottle later, he asked about the hat and Wottle said he forgot to remove it. It wasn't a big deal at the time.

Comment

Originally posted by gh View Post

perhaps for people who only saw it on TV, but if you were there you'll never attach him to anything but his last 200
                I was there and I agree.

Comment

Originally posted by tandfman View Post

I was there and I agree.
                  I stayed at the same hostel in Garmisch-Partenkirchen as Dave Wottle's parents. A day or 2 after the 800m final, we had dinner in town, with Dave in attendance. None of us even knew about any controversy in the U.S. If Dave had received word, he wasn't letting on.

As I recall, at the medal ceremony, lots of people noticed he didn't take off his cap, but no one seemed to think it signified anything political.
                  Last edited by J Rorick; 11-25-2021, 03:36 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by noone View Post
                    John Carlos is of course a familiar name to track fans. I believe it’s fair to say that his fame is to a large part due to the 1968 podium protest. Else his name would have faded into obscurity, like 200m medalists James Gathers (bronze in 1952), Les Carney (silver 1960) or Michael Bates (bronze 1992).

That made me think what other athletes are remembered primarily for something they did at the Olympics that, for better or for worse, overshadowed their actual performance. I came up with Lutz Long and Zola Budd.
                    Without wanted to get into a debate on semantics here, I think what noone is getting at are these cases:

1. The athlete "performed" at the Olympics. That is, they actually did well. Budd's seventh place is stretching it a bit, but Hart and Robinson definitely don't qualify and neither does Derek Redmond. I agree that there are truckloads of stories of heroic/tragic failures. Bert Cameron is another.
                    2. The athlete did something else at that same Olympics, which they are actually more famous for than their actual performance.

I know Matthews/Collett's antics created some comment at the time, but that's largely a footnote know - 50 years later I think they are more remembered for the actual performance. Its way short of the Smith/Carlos level. Same with Dave Wottle - I had entirely forgotten about him forgetting to take his hat off - it just isn't a big story and he is rightly remembered as an Olympic champion who won an exciting race. I wondered about Stella Walsh as well but figured she didn't qualify either - she didn't do something else at that Olympics (1932/36). Jesse Owens is actually a candidate - is he better known as "the guy who was snubbed by Hitler" or as the four time champion? I think its the latter though. Ironically, the guy who actually was snubbed by Hitler - Cornelius Johnson - is more famous for winning the HJ!

Comment

Originally posted by noone View Post
                      John Carlos is of course a familiar name to track fans. I believe it’s fair to say that his fame is to a large part due to the 1968 podium protest. Else his name would have faded into obscurity.
                      For anyone that followed track in the late 60s that is certainly NOT true. Carlos is tied forever to Tommie S and was certainly the larger personality. Carlos accomplishments made him very memorable, the podium protest was minor compared to what he did on the track.

Comment

Originally posted by Alcyallen View Post
                        Stella Walsh on the right. How in the hell did that work, wow!!!

gettyimages-3346413.jpg?itok=5-y8Jyaa.jpg
                        Who is on the left?

EDIT: I think I figured it out with the help of Internet.
                        Last edited by Olli; 11-25-2021, 03:49 PM.

Comment

That looks like Helen Stephens..

Comment

Lolo performed well, and is remembered for something besides her performance.

Comment

She is most known for clobbering the penultimate hurdle in the Olympics.

Comment

Dan O’Brien almost counts, his many accomplishments overshadowed by something that occurred at the trials rather than the Olympics.

De Grasse might end up more remembered for his smiling midrace photo-ops with Bolt than his eventual gold in ‘21. Of course we all know it hat Bolt is more known for his nugget eating in the village than his sprinting, but well give the GOAT a pass.

Sam Kendricks had that viral video during warm ups in ‘16 that probably got more attention than his medal winning performance. Then there’s the the guy who caught his groin on the end of his pole during a clearance at the Sydney games. Don’t remember who, but a lot of people have asked me if I’ve seen that vide over the years.

Comment

Working...
                                X