Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big Event

This month's (December) "Big Event" happened on this date some 40 years ago. Some might title this "Big Event" as "When is a World Record Not a World Record?"

The athlete that set this "world record" never won an Olympic medal, however this person did win a gold medal at the World Championships (in the same event as the "world record").

Our "Big Event" "world record" was broken about three years later by an athlete from another country yet spoke the same language as the athlete that set this "Big Event" mark.

No hurdles were involved with this "Big Event". Rearrange these six numbers and you can produce the exact mark for this "Big Event". 001288.

You might already know the site of today's "Big Event" because it has been in the news the past several days.

Please name the event, the person that set this "world record", and the place where this "record" happened 40 years ago today. Extra credit if you can get the actual mark from those six numbers I gave you.

Hmm, perhaps I am missing something, but the only event I can think in which a reasonable mark can be made from 001288 is marathon. Some 40 years ago 2.08.xx.x would have been close to "WR", even though I think there were no official WRs in marathon.

I am just guessing, but I witnessed Rob de Castella win the marathon in Helsinki 1983 and, as far as I remember, he won no Olympic medals.

So perhaps de Castella ran that excellent time "some 40 years ago", even though I cannot claim remembering anything about that event.
    Last edited by Olli; 12-06-2021, 03:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Olli View Post
      Hmm, perhaps I am missing something, but the only event I can think in which a reasonable mark can be made from 001288 is marathon. Some 40 years ago 2.08.xx.x would have been close to "WR", even though I think there were no official WRs in marathon.

I am just guessing, but I witnessed Rob de Castella win the marathon in Helsinki 1983 and, as far as I remember, he won no Olympic medals.

So perhaps de Castella ran that excellent time "some 40 years ago", even though I cannot claim remembering anything about that event.
      I think de Castella won Fukuoka sometime around then - maybe that's what it was since that has usually been held first week of December

Comment

Very good, Olli and bambam1729. It is the marathon (2:08:18.0) and Rob de Castella set this "world record" in Fukuoka, Japan in 1981. At the Chicago Marathon (October 21, 1984), Steve Jones ran 2:08:05.0 to better the mark of Rob de Castella. You are right, Olli. There were no world records, only "world bests" in the marathon. After the 1981 Fukuoka Marathon, it was discovered that the course was too short for any kind of "record".

Thank you Olli and bambam1729.

Comment

Working...
        X