Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Melanie

Happy 61st birthday today (Saturday) to an Olympic champion who competed in two Olympics and won Olympic medals at each Games.

No hurdles were involved in either Olympics.

The Olympic gold medal won by our birthday person came with a world record.

This champion won that Olympic gold medal in the same country in which this athlete was born.

By now, I imagine you must know the name of our birthday athlete on this second Saturday of 2022.

Please go ahead and name this Olympic champion.

Either an American from 1984, or
    Spaniard from 1992.
    No Korean contenders from 1988.

Possibly Fermin Cacho?
    Too many Americans to guess at for 1984.

Comment

Cacho didn't set a WR

Comment

That's right, dukehjsteve. Cacho is not the answer today. Tuariki, you are correct about an American from 1984.

Comment

Not many WRs set at the '84 games and an athlete I've met a number of times and never considered asking for an autograph.

Calvin Smith

Comment

as to the subject line, when I read "Melanie" my first reaction is Brand New Key

Comment

Ditto

Comment

I too was thinking of a brand new pair of roller skates.

Comment

Happy birthday (61) yesterday (Saturday) to Calvin Smith. Very good, NotDutra5.

Calvin Smith (born in Mississippi) ran the third leg (he gave the baton to Carl Lewis) on the winning four by 100 relay team at the 1984 Los Angeles Olympic Games. This American team ran 37.83 to set the only track & field world record at the Los Angeles Games. Calvin's split on his third leg was 9.41. Four years later in Seoul, Smith took the bronze medal in the 100. You probably remember that the U.S. four by 100 relay team did not make the final in Seoul.

Melanie (with or without roller skates) is Calvin's wife's name.

Thank you, NotDutra5, Tuariki, dukehjsteve, gh, and steele.

Comment

Working...
                  X