Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jovian Asteroid 39285

Happy birthday today (Monday) to an Olympic champion who won two Olympic gold medals at three Olympic Games.

Our birthday athlete competed in four different Olympic events and won Olympic gold at the second and third of those three Games.

The only continents that this champion did not compete in at the Olympics Games were South America, Australia, Africa, and Antarctica.

Born 82 years ago this day in January, this individual has been involved with the Olympic Games for well over fifty years.

Who knows the name of our birthday person on this "Martin Luther King, Jr. Day"?

Step right up and enter the name of this Olympic champion.

Remember, no research is allowed, but lots of good luck is allowed.

Kipchoge Keino won two golds in his second and third games, so he's my guess.

Comment

Originally posted by Olli View Post
      Kipchoge Keino won two golds in his second and third games, so he's my guess.
      Beat me to it since steeplechase hurdles werent' excluded.

Comment

Originally posted by KDFINE View Post

Beat me to it since steeplechase hurdles werent' excluded.
        Yea, an additional clue (or non-clue) that I didn't even notice but which does point to KK.

Comment

Has to be Kip Keino. We share the same birthday as also Tom Dooley (Hang Down Your Head, TD), Muhammad Ali, and Late Betty White.. Met KK at World Masters in Eugene.. we were both in 1500 m heats (46-49). We both didn’t qualify for finals but I had faster qualifying time than KK.. I wish it was 25 years earlier

Comment

There are probably more but we have a list of 60 Olympians (all sports) on Olympedia who have had asteroids named after them - https://www.olympedia.org/lists/224/manual. Keino is in there.

Comment

Happy 82nd birthday today to Kip Keino. Very nice, Olli.

Keino is one the few track and field athletes to win Olympic gold and silver medals in consecutive Olympic Games.

His first Olympic were the 1964 Tokyo Games when he was 24 years old. He didn't make the 1,500 final, however he did place fifth in the 5,000 in Japan.

At the 1968 Olympics in Mexico City, Keino dropped out of the 10,000, got back in the race, and then dropped out of it again. Four days later, he won the Olympic silver medal in the 5,000 and three days after winning that silver medal, Kip Keino won the 1,500, beating Jim Ryun. His winning time of 3:34.9 was an Olympic record for the 1,500.

In 1972, Keino won the Olympic gold medal in the steeplechase and then won the Olympic silver medal in the 1,500 six days after running the steeplechase in Munich.

Happy birthday today to midwestfan and thank you to Olli, KDFINE, midwestfan, and bambam1729.

Comment

Originally posted by bambam1729 View Post
                There are probably more but we have a list of 60 Olympians (all sports) on Olympedia who have had asteroids named after them - https://www.olympedia.org/lists/224/manual. Keino is in there.
                As I guessed, Paavo Nurmi has the lowest number (1740), which I believe implies it was the first of them discovered. (Yrjö Väisälä, a Finnish astronomer, discovered hundreds of them, naming them after notable Finnish people etc.)

Comment

Working...
                X