Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1960 ladies 4x1 relay

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 1960 ladies 4x1 relay

    At the 1932 Olympics the USA brought in a team to just run the 4x1 relay, none of our 100m sprinters were on this team, no Eddie Tolan, Yep, we won the gold.

    In 1960 we ran the Tennessee State Tigerbelles 4x1 team with Wilma Rudolph on anchor as the USA team, yep, won the gold. Think about that a college team representing the USA at the Olympics, that will never happen again.

    I do think we could bring in a team with our depth to just run the 4x1, maybe have our stud on anchor. All they would do is practice practice practice.

    The Tigerbelles

    Wilma Rudolph (far right) was the 20th of 22 children, that is hard to beleve, so her mom spent at least 22 years pregnant, whoa! always wondered if that scene in Forest Gump running out of his leg braces was inspired by Rudolphs polio as a kid, she wore braces.


    default.jpg
    Last edited by Alcyallen; 01-21-2022, 02:13 AM.

  • #2
    Speaking of 4x1 relays in history....

    Would love to have seen this one in Berlin in 1936....

    Jesse Owens....Eulace Peacock...Mack Robinson...Ralph Metcalfe

    This one in 1968...

    Charlie Greene...Jimmy Hines...John Carlos...Tommie Smith

    Comment


    • #3
      I would loved to have seen the Tennessee State Tigerbelles run in person.

      3 of them are still with us: Martha Hudson 82, Lucinda Williams 84, and Barbara Jones 84. Unfortunately, Wilma Rudolph left us in 1994.
      Last edited by The Klingon; 01-21-2022, 10:37 AM.

      Comment


      • #4
        Not trying to hijack the thread, but back in the middle of the last century, when "amateurism" was still the rule for the Olympics, the US Olympic basketball team was composed of a blend of the NCAA champions and the AAU champions.

        Now, back to your regularly scheduled programming.....

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by The Klingon View Post
          I would loved to have seen the Tennessee State Tigerbelles run in person.

          3 of them are still with us: Martha Hudson 82, Lucinda Williams 84, and Barbara Jones 84. Unfortunately, Wilma Rudolph left us in 1994.
          i couldn't find a video of that 60 4x1, yep....bummer!

          Apparently the school had a lot of great female sprinters come later.

          The fact an HBCU school represented the USA is pretty cool, a one time deal.

          Would be cool to see a photo of Miss Hudson, Miss Williams and Miss Jones out on the track with baton in hand, ha!

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by KevinR View Post
            Not trying to hijack the thread, but back in the middle of the last century, when "amateurism" was still the rule for the Olympics, the US Olympic basketball team was composed of a blend of the NCAA champions and the AAU champions.

            Now, back to your regularly scheduled programming.....
            Don't get AAU Champions....???

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Alcyallen View Post

              The fact an HBCU school represented the USA is pretty cool, a one time deal.
              The 1956 team was also made up of four Tigerbelles: Isabelle Daniels, Mae Faggs, Margaret Matthews, and Wilma Rudolph.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Davidokun View Post

                The 1956 team was also made up of four Tigerbelles: Isabelle Daniels, Mae Faggs, Margaret Matthews, and Wilma Rudolph.
                Well I'll be damn, didn't know that, thanks!

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Davidokun View Post

                  The 1956 team was also made up of four Tigerbelles: Isabelle Daniels, Mae Faggs, Margaret Matthews, and Wilma Rudolph.
                  Wasn't Wilma (16 in 1956) in high school at the time?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by CookyMonzta View Post

                    Wasn't Wilma (16 in 1956) in high school at the time?
                    Technically she didn't enter the school until 1958 but was training with the ladies there in 56, ah.....just found that out. ain't Google great?

                    So actually that 56 team did have four Tigerbelles on it, present three, future one.
                    Last edited by Alcyallen; 01-21-2022, 07:00 PM.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Alcyallen View Post

                      Don't get AAU Champions....???
                      https://www.usab.com/history/nationa...piad-1948.aspx

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X