Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Twins

Happy birthday today (Wednesday) to an Olympic champion who won four Olympic gold medals at three Olympic Games.

Born on a Wednesday 84 years ago today, this champion shares the same initials as another Olympic champion, but this other Olympic champion won Olympic gold about 52 years after our birthday athlete first won Olympic gold.

Our birthday individual was the only person in Olympic history to accomplish something special.

Did I tell you that this birthday person won Olympic gold as a teenager?

About five years ago, our birthday athlete died at the age of 79.

Both our birthday champion and the other Olympic champion (with the same initials) came from countries that speak the same language.

No hurdles were involved with our birthday athlete's Olympic medals.

Can you name our birthday athlete on this third Wednesday of April?

Please give it a try.

Sounds like one of the Australian women, but I don't know which one. I'll wild guess Shirley de la Hunty.

Comment

And I’ll wild guess Betty Cuthbert

Comment

Betty Cuthbert. The only person to win the 100, 200 and 400.

Comment

Betty Cuthbert was born in Australia 84 years ago today. Very good, noone.

Cuthbert was born a few minutes before her twin sister (Midge). Betty made three Australian Olympic teams and won three gold medals at the first of those three Games. She was only 18 years old when she won the 100. Four days later, she equaled the world record (23.4) in the 200 for her second Olympic gold medal. The day after she won the 200, Betty anchored the winning four by 100 relay for her third gold medal.

At the age of 22, Cuthbert ran the 100 in the 1960 Rome Olympic Games, however she did not make that Olympic final.

She won the Olympic 400 (52.0) at the 1964 Tokyo Olympics at the age of 26.

In 1969, Cuthbert was diagnosed with multiple sclerosis. She died on the first Sunday in August of 2017 at the age of 79.

As mw61 said, she was the only person to win the Olympic 100, 200, and the 400.

Thank you, mcgato, noone, and mw61.

Comment

Working...
          X