Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Journeys Bring Eventful History

Happy birthday today (Sunday) to two Olympic champions we shall call "H" and "T".

Both athletes were born on a Sunday, but on different continents.

Neither champion won Olympic gold in the hurdles.

Today marks 168 years since the births of both people.

Our birthday athletes competed in a total of four Olympic Games and won a total of two Olympic gold medals (both won in Europe).

Athlete "H" was 22 years old when athlete "T" was born.

One of our birthday individuals competed in the same event at three consecutive Olympics.

You might like to know that one of these two people turns 73 today while the other person died at the age of 65.

Can you name both of these birthday athletes on this final Sunday in April?

Please give it a try and good luck.

The one born 1949 might be Eddie Hart-

Comment

And the older one just might be Josi Barthel, even though I don't know if he competed in three consecutive Olympics.

Comment

Sorry, if I spoiled this too quickly...

Comment

I would have guessed Jolanda Vakas

Comment

Happy 73rd birthday today to Eddie Hart. Very good, Olli.

Eddie Hart was born in Northern California about four years after the end of World War II in Europe. He made one Olympic team in 1972 (Munich). Hart ran the 100 in Munich. He won his opening heat (heat 11) in 10.47, however he never made it to the quarterfinal race because of confusion over the scheduled time. His absence in that 100 final, still today brings debate about his chances of winning the Olympic gold medal in the men's 100.

Hart did anchor the U.S. four by 100 relay team to a gold medal in Munich.

Josy Barthel was born in Luxembourg 95 years ago today. Nice job, Olli.

Barthel ran the 800 and the 1,500 at the 1948 London Olympic Games. Although he didn't make the final in the 800, Barthel did place tenth in the 1,500. Four years later (1952) in Helsinki, Josy Barthel won the Olympic gold medal in the 1,500. He ran 3:45.28 to beat the American, Bob McMillen (3:45.39).

At the 1956 Melbourne Olympic Games, Josy Barthel ran the 1,500, however he did not make that final.

Thank you Olli and noone.

Comment

Originally posted by noone View Post
              I would have guessed Jolanda Vakas
              Haha, I think you mean Iolanda Balas. Whether her first name starts with J or I is not, however, unequivocal. She belonged to the Hungarian minority of Romania, and the Hungarian form appears to be Balázs Jolán.

https://hu.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balázs_Jolán

Comment

Originally posted by Olli View Post
                And the older one just might be Josi Barthel, even though I don't know if he competed in three consecutive Olympics.
                You rat Olli I was out riding my bike so you beat me ! lol
                Last edited by dukehjsteve; 04-24-2022, 10:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Olli View Post

Haha, I think you mean Iolanda Balas. Whether her first name starts with J or I is not, however, unequivocal. She belonged to the Hungarian minority of Romania, and the Hungarian form appears to be Balázs Jolán.

https://hu.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balázs_Jolán
                  I didnt realize i typed Vakas. of course i meant Balas. We've had a lot of Josy Barthel recently.

Comment

Working...
                  X