Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1973 Indiana State Meet 25 minute video

A buddy sent me this today. It's pretty cool. The current coach at his old high school, Madison High School (IN), persuaded the Indiana University film library to digitize a 49-year-old videotape of the 1973 state track meet. In the mile, Carey Pinkowski led the middle laps. In the 440, there were 19 guys by my count, two per lane. Bizarre. Then in the 2 mile, my friend who sent this, Dave Collins, ran in the shadows back in fifth or sixth (red uniform) then moved up and unleashed a pretty awesome kick over the last lap to win in 9:16. He had run 9:06 in regional the week before. State meet was a really hot day. In second place at the finish was John Roscoe from Terre Haute North. He had been second to Dave at regional in 9:11 and the whole way driving over from Terre Haute to the state meet in Indy Roscoe apparently was blasting rock music trying to get psyched up. Roscoe ran for the USA in the junior race at the 1974 International Cross-country Championship, finished 6th, and eventually ran 8:40 or so in the steeple for Kansas.

Also in the 2 mile, often running in about 7th place, you can pick out a young Rudy Chapa. He was a freshman, in the purple with the diagonal white stripe of Hammond HS (HHS). Further back in solid green was Charlie Schultz, running for Madison Shawe. He became the last kid to beat Rudy Chapa in high school, that fall 1973 at the state cross country meet it was Pinkowski 1st, Schultz 2nd and Chapa 3rd.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=-TMmBOuoEGo
    Last edited by DrJay; 04-26-2022, 11:17 PM.

Wouldn't it be great if more old videos like this would surface and be digitized?

Comment

The headline led me to believe this was a long jump video

Comment

Fixed it!

Comment

Kewl.....

Comment

Originally posted by DrJay View Post
            A buddy sent me this today. It's pretty cool. The current coach at his old high school, Madison High School (IN), persuaded the Indiana University film library to digitize a 49-year-old videotape of the 1973 state track meet. In the mile, Carey Pinkowski led the middle laps. In the 440, there were 19 guys by my count, two per lane. Bizarre. Then in the 2 mile, my friend who sent this, Dave Collins, ran in the shadows back in fifth or sixth (red uniform) then moved up and unleashed a pretty awesome kick over the last lap to win in 9:16. He had run 9:06 in regional the week before. State meet was a really hot day. In second place at the finish was John Roscoe from Terre Haute North. He had been second to Dave at regional in 9:11 and the whole way driving over from Terre Haute to the state meet in Indy Roscoe apparently was blasting rock music trying to get psyched up. Roscoe ran for the USA in the junior race at the 1974 International Cross-country Championship, finished 6th, and eventually ran 8:40 or so in the steeple for Kansas.

Also in the 2 mile, often running in about 7th place, you can pick out a young Rudy Chapa. He was a freshman, in the purple with the diagonal white stripe of Hammond HS (HHS). Further back in solid green was Charlie Schultz, running for Madison Shawe. He became the last kid to beat Rudy Chapa in high school, that fall 1973 at the state cross country meet it was Pinkowski 1st, Schultz 2nd and Chapa 3rd.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=-TMmBOuoEGo
            That 440 was crazy! I have never seen anything like it. The guy who won it was in lane 1!

Comment

Looked like two runners in each lane. I don't ever remember seeing something like that.

Comment

Seems like the director went on to work for ESPN: useless nearly head-on camera angle for the 100 and finish of the 440, no field event coverage.

Comment

Originally posted by DoubleRBar View Post
                  Looked like two runners in each lane. I don't ever remember seeing something like that.
                  That is pretty bizarre. I was expecting them to break for the pole at the 110. In 1972, we ran the Massachusetts state meet 440 starting at the 220 straightaway, around one curve, then finished at the end of the 2nd straight. No individual lanes, of course!

Comment

I do like gh's idea of starting the 400 at a common starting line and when the gun goes off, everyone sprints like mad for the pole (no assigned lanes). I'm pretty sure it would be more exciting then what we have today (eight or nine athletes running the whole race in lanes).

Comment

I do like gh's idea of starting the 400 at a common starting line and when the gun goes off, everyone sprints like mad for the pole (no assigned lanes). I'm pretty sure it would be more exciting then what we have today (eight or nine athletes running the whole race in lanes).
                      I'm guessing you're a big roller derby fan!! 😁😁

Comment

Originally posted by FSNU View Post

That is pretty bizarre. I was expecting them to break for the pole at the 110. In 1972, we ran the Massachusetts state meet 440 starting at the 220 straightaway, around one curve, then finished at the end of the 2nd straight. No individual lanes, of course!
                        At the 1941 Penn Relays, Grover Klemmer equaled Rudolf Harbig's 400m WR in a race run in that format. At 0:40 of this video:

https://www.criticalpast.com/video/6...Grover-klemmer

Last Olympic 800m run from a common start was Melbourne 1956 won by Tom Courtney. Not much chance it's happening for the 400m.

Comment

I remember once talking to Tony Hadley who has coached a number of UK internationals. He was a sprinter in the '70s and ran some indoor 200m races where they all lined up on the same curved line you would do for a 1500m, mile etc.

Comment

Working...
                          X