Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Warning: Not Easy

Happy birthday today (Friday) to an Olympic champion who was born 109 years ago in the same country where this person won an Olympic gold medal as a teenager.

Our birthday champion had a son who competed in the Olympic Trials, but the son did not make an Olympic team.

This birthday athlete died 23 days before turning 85 years old.

Even though our birthday individual was a hurdler, the Olympic gold medal won by this person had nothing to do with the hurdles.

You might already know that our birthday athlete competed in only one Olympic Games.

The birthday athlete and the son both competed in the same event.

It's true that this champion graduated from a school which was located less than two miles from the place where our birthday person won the Olympic gold medal.

Time to name our birthday athlete on this fifth and final Friday of April.

Grad from USC? won gold at LA Coliseum as a 19 year old?

Comment

Ablowich (first name I can't recall but his son was Ron.

Comment

Originally posted by KDFINE View Post
        Ablowich (first name I can't recall but his son was Ron.
        Ed

Comment

Edgar Ablowich was born in Texas 109 years ago today. Very well done, KDFINE and good to gh for the first name.

Ablowich did go to USC and he did run the second leg on the winning four by 400 U.S. relay at the 1932 Los Angeles Olympic Games. He split 47.6 which was the slowest of the four American legs on that relay that broke the world record by running 3:08.2. Fastest split on that team went to the anchorman, Bill Carr, at 46.2.

Ron Ablowich (his son) ran 52.2 in the 400 hurdles at the 1960 U.S. Olympic Trials in Los Angeles. He didn't make the finals at those 1960 Trials.

Thank you, KDFINE, SoCal45, and gh.

Comment

As I pointed out last year (or maybe 2 years ago), Ablovich is the first athletics gold medalist in the alphabet.

Comment

Who is the last?

Comment

Originally posted by DoubleRBar View Post
                Who is the last?
                Could be Dutch Zwillling's kid brother.
                Last edited by cigar95; 04-29-2022, 10:37 PM. Reason: correct typo

Comment

Originally posted by DoubleRBar View Post
                  Who is the last?
                  I will gues Zsivotzky

Comment

In Scandinavian alphabet it might be Arne Åhman.

Comment

Originally posted by noone View Post

I will gues Zsivotzky
                      According to bam's database at olympedia.org, it is Nina Zyuskova, Gold Medalist in 1980 on the USSR 4x400m relay.

Comment

Originally posted by noone View Post
                        As I pointed out last year (or maybe 2 years ago), Ablovich is the first athletics gold medalist in the alphabet.
                        According to bam's database at olympedia.org, Ablovich is 3rd on the alphabetical list. First is Andrey Abduvaliyev, 1992 Hammer Champ from Tajikistan (Unified Team).

Comment

Working...
                        X