X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Davidokun
    replied
    Originally posted by dukehjsteve View Post
    Great pic Davidokun ! Alas, my jersey is lost in the sands of time.
    Thanks, dukehjsteve. Top of the Pops kept his T&F memorabilia in a small suitcase, which was usually stashed in a secret location.

Leave a comment:

• dukehjsteve
    replied
    Originally posted by Davidokun View Post

My late father's circa 1956 NYAC kit:

IMG_2091.jpg
    Great pic Davidokun ! Alas, my jersey is lost in the sands of time.

Leave a comment:

• Davidokun
    replied
    Originally posted by dukehjsteve View Post
    Oh, the nostalgia, the nostalgia ! I well remember about 1963, when Joe McCluskey, coach of the NY Athletic Club, gave me one of their iconic winged foot jerseys to wear in summer meets representing the NYAC
    My late father's circa 1956 NYAC kit:

IMG_2091.jpg

Leave a comment:

• lonewolf
    replied
    I have on occasion been drafted as a lap counter for one or two specific athletes in a large field where runners were being lapped.

Leave a comment:

• DoubleRBar
    replied
    Almost every track fan (if you go to enough meets) has seen mistakes by the lap counting official at some meet and noone is right about the best way to do it correctly. The judge should check the clock at each lap of the race. After the first lap is completed, you can tell the pace of the race and what is reasonable for each lap. If you are not paying attention to the race, it can be very easy to make a mistake on which lap has been completed. Checking the clock can definitely help.

Leave a comment:

• Trickstat
    replied
    Originally posted by Olli View Post
    Wasn't there some kind of a miscounting problem also in Rome 1987 WC 10,000m?
    I think there was some confusion about what lap the leaders were on but I think they did run the right distance in the end. However, I think there is a suspicion that some further down the field may not have run the right number of laps. I know there have been a few 10000s at World Under 20s Champs where there are doubts about everyone doing 25 laps.

Leave a comment:

• Olli
    replied
    Wasn't there some kind of a miscounting problem also in Rome 1987 WC 10,000m?

Leave a comment:

• dukehjsteve
    replied
    Oh, the nostalgia, the nostalgia ! I well remember about 1963, when Joe McCluskey, coach of the NY Athletic Club, gave me one of their iconic winged foot jerseys to wear in summer meets representing the NYAC

Leave a comment:

• gm
    replied
    Screen Shot 2022-05-03 at 6.21.41 PM.png

remainder of that story

Leave a comment:

• gm
    replied
    1932 steeplechase p1.jpg

from the August 7 Arizona Daily Star

Leave a comment:

• noone
    started a topic 3000 meters steeplechase 1932

3000 meters steeplechase 1932

The recent thread about Iso-Hollo's birthdate reminded me that I've long wondered about the 1932 Olympic steeplechase with an extra lap

The runners:
    Would the result have been the same without the error?
    Did any runners sprint at 2900 meters only to realize they had to run another lap? Did any just stop at 3000?

The official :
    How could he screw up so badly? If he wasn't sure what lap they were on, he could have checked the time, presumably a time around 9:00 for the winner was expected.
    What was his name?
    Were there any consequences - did he get chastised or fired?

The aftermath:

Was there an outrage or did people go "oh well, not a big deal"
    ​​​
    ​​​
Working...
X