Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kenny Moore R.I.P.

OMG, one of the sports most all-around personages--athlete extraordinaire, brilliant writer, part-time actor,, has died at age 78, according to a tweet I just saw!
    Olympic marathoner, good friend to Frank Shorter and Prefontaine, Eugene icon!
    Actor in Personal Best!
    Author of the Bowerman bio, and frequent Sports Illustrated writer, including my favorite article on Gerry Lindgren (when he "found" him in Hawaii)!!
    A great loss to the sport, and to Eugene!
    R.I.P.

How sad. Kenny was a great guy, a wonderful writer, and a powerful force for our sport. He had been in ill health for several years. He will be missed.

Comment

long obit from RW

https://www.runnersworld.com/runners...re-dies-at-78/

Comment

Fantastic writer and a 4th plus 14th in the Olympic Marathon. I had a couple of conversations with him many years ago by chance and he came across as a genuinely nice guy. Really saddened by this news. RIP Mr. Moore.

Comment

I am usually minimally affected by celebrity passing but although I never met Kenny Moore, I felt like I knew him through his writings.

Comment

Ken Moore will be missed.

Someone should write about 4th place finishers in Olympic marathons.
            Ex: Nakayama Takeyuki 4th in 1988 and 1992.

Comment

Japan Running News just tweeted their condolences & sadness at hearing of Kenny Moore's passing!
              They noted his frequent running in Fukuoka!
              It had a photo of him running there alongside a Japanese runner!
              That was nice of them!

Comment

oh man, hadn't seen this, always a big fan, have an autographed copy of the Bowerman book.

Comment

Originally posted by aaronk View Post
                  Japan Running News just tweeted their condolences & sadness at hearing of Kenny Moore's passing!
                  They noted his frequent running in Fukuoka!
                  It had a photo of him running there alongside a Japanese runner!
                  That was nice of them!
                  I think with Akio Usami

https://twitter.com/JRNHeadlines/sta...098689/photo/1

Comment

Originally posted by gh View Post
                    Wow, sorry to hear this ... I kind of considered him a journalism "hero" or "role model" when I was first getting into our sport (and our sport's journalism) in the 70s and 80s. Grateful for all of his contributions.

Comment

My favorite Kenny Moore anecdote (you'll have to have seen the movie to get it though) came at the '83 Stanford Invitational after Personal Best came out.

I was sitting in the stands schmoozing with Daley Thompson when Kenny walked by. Daley, in a prime example of his razor-sharp wit, said, "Liked you in the movie; big role, small part."

Comment

I remember an old SI article where Moore wrote about his Munich Olympic race and he juxtaposed the article with the massacre. I haven't been able to find it in the SI Vault. Does anyone have a link to the whole article and not a truncated version?

Comment

I happened to be seated right in front of Kenny in the Coliseum for the second day of the '84 games. I just listened to everything he said and tried to learn from it. (A couple days later I sat in front of John Lucas of Penn State, a well-known sports historian. That was equally interesting.)

Comment

Originally posted by GHM View Post
                            Ken Moore will be missed.

Someone should write about 4th place finishers in Olympic marathons.
                            Ex: Nakayama Takeyuki 4th in 1988 and 1992.
                            Don Kardong!

Comment

Originally posted by JMysterio View Post
                              I remember an old SI article where Moore wrote about his Munich Olympic race and he juxtaposed the article with the massacre. I haven't been able to find it in the SI Vault. Does anyone have a link to the whole article and not a truncated version?
                              Is this it?

https://vault.si.com/vault/1996/08/0...-games-must-go

Comment

Working...
                              X