Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dukehjsteve
    replied
    [QUOTE=DoubleRBar;n1747043]Paul Drayton was born in New York 83 years ago today. Very good, KDFINE.

Otis Paul Drayton went to Cathedral Latin High School in Cleveland, Ohio and had the nickname "Otie" in school.

He went to Villanova University in Pennsylvania, made the 1964 U.S. Olympic team to Tokyo, and won two Olympic medals in Japan.

Drayton took the silver medal (behind Henry Carr) in the 1964 men's 200 and four days later he won the gold medal in the four by 100 relay when he ran the first leg on the American relay team that set a new world record of 39.0.

Paul Drayton died of cancer in 2010 in Ohio at the age of 70.

Thank you gh, dukehjsteve, and KDFINE (I'm not sure what happened to dukehjsteve's post).

[/QUOTE I deleted it ! ]

Leave a comment:

• DoubleRBar
    replied
    Paul Drayton was born in New York 83 years ago today. Very good, KDFINE.

Otis Paul Drayton went to Cathedral Latin High School in Cleveland, Ohio and had the nickname "Otie" in school.

He went to Villanova University in Pennsylvania, made the 1964 U.S. Olympic team to Tokyo, and won two Olympic medals in Japan.

Drayton took the silver medal (behind Henry Carr) in the 1964 men's 200 and four days later he won the gold medal in the four by 100 relay when he ran the first leg on the American relay team that set a new world record of 39.0.

Paul Drayton died of cancer in 2010 in Ohio at the age of 70.

Thank you gh, dukehjsteve, and KDFINE (I'm not sure what happened to dukehjsteve's post).

Leave a comment:

• KDFINE
    replied
    Paul Draytvon. His first name was actually Otis.

Leave a comment:

• DoubleRBar
    replied
    Very good, dukehjsteve, you are correct about our U.S. birthday athlete getting an Olympic silver medal in Tokyo and a gold in the relay, however this person did not run the 100 or the 400 in Tokyo in 1964.

Leave a comment:

• DoubleRBar
    replied
    You're right, he wasn't an Olympian, however he did go to the same high school as Randall Cunningham (a few years apart).

Leave a comment:

• gh
    replied
    when i hear "Otie" I think of Otey Scruggs, one of the leading US decathletes of the '50s, but he wasn't an Olympian

Leave a comment:

• DoubleRBar
    started a topic Otie

Otie

Happy birthday today (Sunday) to an Olympic champion who was born 83 years ago today and won two Olympic medals at one Olympic Games.

Our birthday athlete did not compete in the Olympic hurdles, however this person did win an Olympic silver medal.

The Olympic gold medal won by our birthday champion came with a world record.

Some of you might know that this individual was 25 years old when winning those two Olympic medals and this athlete died at the age of 70 from cancer.

Please name this Olympic champion on this Mother's Day of 2022.
Working...
X