Clear All

• DoubleRBar
    replied
    No problem, dukehjsteve.

Leave a comment:

• dukehjsteve
    replied
    Originally posted by DoubleRBar View Post
    Happy 60th birthday yesterday (Tuesday) to John Ngugi. Very good, mcgato.

John Ngugi was born in Kenya and won gold in the 5,000 at the 1988 Seoul Olympic Games. He was probably better known for his cross country running.

Just to clarify the "research rules" for our quizzes. There is no research (at all) allowed. If you think you know the answer, please give it a try. If you are wrong and after I rule on your first answer, you are free to make another guess, but not before I make a ruling on your initial answer. If you think you know the answer and then look it up to see if your are correct, that is called research and is not allowed. I hope this make sense.

Thank you, Olli, dukehjsteve, and mcgato.
    Message received, DoubleRBar. For the record I have never,never "researched" beyond what I discussed, and then very rarely. But no more !

Leave a comment:

• DoubleRBar
    replied
    Happy 60th birthday yesterday (Tuesday) to John Ngugi. Very good, mcgato.

John Ngugi was born in Kenya and won gold in the 5,000 at the 1988 Seoul Olympic Games. He was probably better known for his cross country running.

Just to clarify the "research rules" for our quizzes. There is no research (at all) allowed. If you think you know the answer, please give it a try. If you are wrong and after I rule on your first answer, you are free to make another guess, but not before I make a ruling on your initial answer. If you think you know the answer and then look it up to see if your are correct, that is called research and is not allowed. I hope this make sense.

Thank you, Olli, dukehjsteve, and mcgato.

Leave a comment:

• Olli
    replied
    I also had Ngugi in mind (and checking confirmed it).

Leave a comment:

• mcgato
    replied
    Could JN be John Ngugi?

Leave a comment:

• dukehjsteve
    replied
    Olli, I asked DoubleRBar about this once, and he replied that if you have a pretty good idea, then check that idea and it is correct, it's ok to post it. But if you idea is wrong, you're done. Only one "idea/guess then check" allowed.

Leave a comment:

• Olli
    replied
    I had a hunch who JN might be but checked it before sending the name here. Perhaps the rules forbid me to do it now.

Leave a comment:

• DoubleRBar
    replied
    Yes, Athlete "J" turns 60 today and won Olympic gold in Seoul (1988). I can tell you that this champion was born southeast of London.

Leave a comment:

• KDFINE
    replied
    So "Judge Nobody" was born in 1962 and only competed in, and won in Seoul, and was born 4,242 miles from London. I'm no closer to having an idea as to who it is.

Leave a comment:

• DoubleRBar
    replied
    Happy 56th birthday today to Jonathan Edwards. Very well done, KDFINE.

Jonathan Edwards was born in London, England on this day in 1966 (right in the center of "Beatlemania"). You probably remember that he was a pretty good triple jumper and made four Olympic teams in that event. His first two Olympics (1988 and 1992) were not that great, since he did not make the finals in either of those two Games. Atlanta in 1996 was a lot different for Edwards because he cleared 17.88 (58' 8"), but unfortunately for him, Kenny Harrison (U.S.) jumped 18.09 (59' 4 1/4") to win the gold medal. Edwards did have an Olympic silver medal, but he had set the world record in Sweden the year before the Atlanta Games (that world mark still holds today) and was expected to win the gold in Georgia which he did in 2000 (Sydney) when he jumped 17.71 (58' 1 1/4").

Thank you, KDFINE.
    Last edited by DoubleRBar; 05-10-2022, 06:28 PM.

Leave a comment:

• KDFINE
    replied
    Jonathan Edwards just based upon the age and initials and four Olympics.

Leave a comment:

• DoubleRBar
    started a topic Judge Nobody, Judge Everybody

Judge Nobody, Judge Everybody

Happy birthday today (Tuesday) to two Olympic champions with a total age today of 116 years.

Today, these two will be called "J" and "B".

Athletes "J" and "B" competed in a total of five Olympic Games and won a total of two Olympic gold medals.

No hurdles were involved in any of those two Olympic gold medals.

"J" was four years old when "B" was born.

Our birthday champions were born approximately 4,242 miles (6,828 kms) from each other.

These athletes competed in the same city at their first Olympic Games.

One of our birthday individuals competed in the same event at four consecutive Olympics.

The athlete that won two World Championship gold medals, one World Championship silver medal, and two World Championship bronze medals turns 56 years old today.

Time to name these two birthday champions on this 19th Tuesday of 2022.

Please remember that no research is allowed, however we do wish you lots of good luck.
Working...
X