Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fastest times run on a birthday

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Fastest times run on a birthday

    Yes, this is an obscure and silly stat, but here goes - take with a grain of salt as I am sure I've missed some. I'll start with the men's 100 metres and add the other sprints later.
    Obviously its more difficult to get on this list if you were born in winter.

    9.98** Darwin Cook, Nice 1985
    10.00 James Dasaolu, Brussels 2014
    10.04 Femi Ogunode, Doha 2015
    10.04 Abdul Aziz Zakari, Rieti 2001
    10.09 Kemarley Brown, Sundsvall 2014
    10.09 Richard Thompson, Eugene 2009
    10.11 Carl Lewis, Oslo 1989
    10.12 Olapade Adeniken, Zurich 1992
    10.12 Kyree King, Marietta 2021
    10.13 Zharnel Hughes, Gateshead 2021
    10.14 Daniel Effiong, Lagos 1993
    10.14 Maurice Greene, Saint-Denis 2004
    10.14 Jon Drummond, Monaco 1995
    10.14 Olusoji Fasuba, Abuja 2005
    10.15 Trell Kimmons, Nuoro 2011
    10.15 Morne Nagel, Pretoria 2001
    10.15 Mosito Lehata, Réduit 2017
    10.16 Trell Kimmons, London 2012
    10.16 Shuhei Tada, Osaka 2017

    And a few wind-aided times:
    9.92 (+2.8) Kim Collins, Austin 2003
    9.97 (+3.5) Trell Kimmons, Nuoro 2011
    10.07 (+3.7) Michael Rosswess, Sheffield 1994
    10.11 (+2.6) Blake Smith, Austin 2015
    10.13 (+2.4) Mark Jelks, Fayetteville 2010


    ** probably wind assisted or a timing malfunction

    [edited from original published - see thread below]
    Last edited by JC100; 05-20-2022, 05:58 AM.
    100m - A New Look at the World's Greatest Race

  • #2
    I was thinking of the next level, which would be actually setting a PR on your birthday. Darwin Cook jumped out at me from the list, but all-time athletics shows him with a 9.9h on that date. Since they occasionally have gaps in their data (though they are *very* good), I'm hoping he actually does have an auto time for that performance.

    Comment


    • #3
      Bolt set 200m WRs (19.30 and 19.19) on consecutive years the day before his birthday. Pretty sure at least one of them had victory ceremony on BD proper, as I have recollection of my leading the Berlin crowd in singing Happy Birthday.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by cigar95 View Post
        I was thinking of the next level, which would be actually setting a PR on your birthday. Darwin Cook jumped out at me from the list, but all-time athletics shows him with a 9.9h on that date. Since they occasionally have gaps in their data (though they are *very* good), I'm hoping he actually does have an auto time for that performance.
        I spent a lot of hours during lockdown typing in data from T&FN magazines, particularly from pre-1990 - here in Canberra the Australian Institute of Sport has a full set.

        16 July 1985 Nice (wind -0.4)
        9.98 Darwin Cook
        10.03 Desai Williams
        10.05 Calvin Smith
        10.16 Henry Thomas
        10.18 Ronald Desruelles

        The first three were also reported in the Guardian here. As the article notes, the wind reading here was certainly wrong and it was really a strong assisting wind.

        I agree all-time athletics is very useful but I think it is largely the lists from various editions of the ATFS annual.
        Last edited by JC100; 05-19-2022, 10:58 PM.
        100m - A New Look at the World's Greatest Race

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by gh View Post
          Bolt set 200m WRs (19.30 and 19.19) on consecutive years the day before his birthday. Pretty sure at least one of them had victory ceremony on BD proper, as I have recollection of my leading the Berlin crowd in singing Happy Birthday.
          Yes, I was surprised not to see Bolt here as well. Maybe he will be in the 200m list
          100m - A New Look at the World's Greatest Race

          Comment


          • #6
            I thought this looked familiar. There was a thread about the best marks on your birthday here: https://forum.trackandfieldnews.com/...rthday-records
            I decided to look up the best marks for an athlete on their birthday. You can look at that thread from a couple of years ago, but here is what I got then:
            --------------------------
            I looked into who had the best performance on their birthday. So, Dasaolu ran 10.00 on his birthday, which is the best birthday performance in the 100. I've only done the men, and I can't promise that I'll do the women. (Credit to pela's lists linked above.)

            100: James Dasaolu - 10.00
            200: Michael Johnson - 19.89
            400: Wayde van Niekerk - 44.12
            800: Johnny Gray - 1:43.74
            1500: Hicham El Guerrouj - 3:29.27
            5000: Moses Masai - 12:50.55
            10000: Moses Masai - 27:02.25
            Mar: Amos Kipruto - 2:06:23
            3000SC: Ali Ezzine - 8:12.40
            110H: Roger Kingdom - 13.04
            400H: Edwin Moses - 47.02
            HJ: Ján Zvara - 2.35(i)
            PV: Jacob Pauli - 5.82
            PV: Renaud Lavillenie - 5.82
            LJ: Larry Myricks - 8.39(i)
            TJ: Gennadiy Valyukevich - 17.53
            SP: Cory Martin - 22.10
            DT: Arthur Burns - 71.18
            HT: Szymon Ziólkowski - 81.34
            JT: Alexander Ivanov - 85.53
            Dec: Alexander Apaychev - 8592

            And here are the best performances on a performers birthday for the women.

            100: Chryste Gaines - 10.86
            200: Dafne Schippers - 22.31
            400: Ma Yuqin - 49.81
            800: Fantu Magiso Manedo - 1:57.48
            1500: Maricica Puica - 3:58.29
            5000: Tirunesh Dibaba - 14:42.01
            10000: Tirunesh Dibaba - 30:24.39
            Mar: Aselefech Mergia - 2:20:02
            3000SC: Etenesh Diro - 9:17.78
            100H: Perdita Felicien - 12.49
            400H: Irina Davydova - 53.87
            HJ: Anna Chicherova - 02.07
            PV: Svetlana Feofanova - 4.78
            LJ: Tatyana Lebedeva - 07.15
            TJ: Olga Saladukha - 14.98
            SP: Nadezhda Chizhova - 21.45
            DT: Daniela Costian - 73.84
            HT: Anita Wlodarczyk - 77.20
            JT: Christina Obergföll - 67.57
            Hep: Laura Ikauniece - 6436

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by JC100 View Post

              I spent a lot of hours during lockdown typing in data from T&FN magazines, particularly from pre-1990 - here in Canberra the Australian Institute of Sport has a full set.

              16 July 1985 Nice (wind -0.4)
              9.98 Darwin Cook
              10.03 Desai Williams
              10.05 Calvin Smith
              10.16 Henry Thomas
              10.18 Ronald Desruelles

              The first three were also reported in the Guardian here. As the article notes, the wind reading here was certainly wrong and it was really a strong assisting wind.

              I agree all-time athletics is very useful but I think it is largely the lists from various editions of the ATFS annual.
              Once you mentioned Henry Thomas, then my antennae really went up - Henry is possibly my favorite HS athlete ever, and this was the European tour after his senior season, so I thought I knew his season progression very well. (Henry had suffered an appendicitis attack two days before the race where I had anticipated all year his taking down of Houston McTear's HSR, and ended up missing the state meet.)
              So I went down to my garage for my archives, and found that this 10.16 appeared in neither High School Track, the FAST annual, nor the T&FN year-end lists. Dug further to find the Track Newsletter info on the meet, where they refer to this race as "questionable timing" - presumably it was tossed out sometime between July and November.
              The Guardian story wasn't particularly kind to Cook's performance either, and had I thought about it further my antennae should have gone up earlier - sub-10 performances in the 1985 era were very rare, with only one such time recognized in '85.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by cigar95 View Post
                So I went down to my garage for my archives, and found that this 10.16 appeared in neither High School Track, the FAST annual, nor the T&FN year-end lists. Dug further to find the Track Newsletter info on the meet, where they refer to this race as "questionable timing" - presumably it was tossed out sometime between July and November.
                Thanks - I should have checked this out before posting. By my calculations, the performances in this race were equivalent to having a 7 m/s tail wind, which would surely have been mentioned in the article had it been the case.

                I've also checked on the top spot - Mike Rodgers running 9.96 in Oxford 2011. Turns out that this race was actually held on 23 April - the day before his birthday - not 24 April.

                I've edited the original post to reflect both these.

                This means that (if we ignore Cook's time), no-one has ever broken 10 seconds on their birthday.

                Also, it turns out that my obscure stat wasn't so obscure after all! I will have to try harder.
                Last edited by JC100; 05-20-2022, 06:46 AM.
                100m - A New Look at the World's Greatest Race

                Comment

                Working...
                X