X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Davidokun
    replied
    Originally posted by DoubleRBar View Post
    Thank you, Davidokun. Sometimes I don't do a very good job of proofreading.
    Nobody's perfect. Least of all, me. I only mentioned it because that clue had me thinking of gold medalists from 1968.

Leave a comment:

• DoubleRBar
    replied
    Thank you, Davidokun. Sometimes I don't do a very good job of proofreading.

Leave a comment:

• Davidokun
    replied
    Happy 80th birthday today (Friday) to an Olympic champion who competed at three consecutive Olympics in the same event and won the gold medal at the second of those three Games.
    Most of you know that Lynn Davies won the Olympic gold medal at his first Olympic Games (in the long jump).
    The latter is correct.

Leave a comment:

• DoubleRBar
    replied
    Happy 80th birthday today to Lynn Davies. Very good, noone.

Most of you know that Lynn Davies won the Olympic gold medal at his first Olympic Games (in the long jump). He defeated the defending 1960 Olympic long jump champion, Ralph Boston at the 1964 Tokyo Olympic Games. Some may forget that Davies also ran the 100 at those Tokyo Olympics (he didn't make the 100 final). He also anchored the British four by 100 relay team that placed eighth in the final. They ran 39.6.

Four years later in Mexico City (1968), Lynn Davies placed ninth in the long jump and I'm sure you remember that Bob Beamon won that competition with his first round leap of 8.90. Davies did carry the British flag during the Opening Ceremonies at the Mexico City Olympic Games.

Davies also competed in the long jump at the 1972 Munich Olympic Games where he did not make that final.

Today Lynn Davies lives in Wales with his wife (Meriel).

Thank you, noone.

Leave a comment:

• noone
    replied
    Lynn Davies? I think Ralph Boston was the favourite.
    Last edited by noone; 05-20-2022, 04:28 PM.

Leave a comment:

• DoubleRBar
    started a topic Flagbearer At 2,240 Meters

Flagbearer At 2,240 Meters

Happy 80th birthday today (Friday) to an Olympic champion who competed at three consecutive Olympics in the same event and won the gold medal at the first of those three Games.

This champion competed in three different events at the Olympic Games where this person won that Olympic gold medal.

Many track fans thought that the defending Olympic champion would win the Olympic gold medal, however our birthday individual proved those fans wrong.

Time to name our birthday athlete on this 20th Friday of 2022.
    Last edited by DoubleRBar; 05-21-2022, 02:55 AM.
Working...
X