Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about Earl Mac Cullough...

Did anyone here ever watch him run in person?
    1968, he was looking so dominant from what I've read.
    I wonder how he would have performed, had he run at the Mexico OG.
    I also realize Willie Davenport died quite young, only 59, while reading Earl's bio on Wikipedia.
    Last edited by 79; 08-02-2022, 09:49 AM.

Must have seen him run in Winnipeg in1967. A clear memory is sitting at the finish line and watching Willie Turner just failing to catch Jerome. Didn’t Turner gain some ground on Tommie Smith towards the end of a 200 m (?) race ? Always thought it was a relatively low grade meet, now realize how many (future) Oly medalists were there. Carlos, Evans, Matthews, Crothers, Davenport, Matson, Babka, Seagren, Prudencio, Boston, Beamon, Larry Young, Tyus, Ferrell, Manning, amongst others.

Comment

In 1967, I thought Earl McCullouch was going to win the Olympic gold medal in Mexico City in 1968. I saw him run when he was a student at Long Beach Poly (we are the same age) and several times when he was at Long Beach City College and USC. I was a big Earl McCullouch fan, even though I knew he was a very good football player. I saw him run at the Olympic Trials (Semi Finals in the L.A. Coliseum) and that was a huge disappointment. After that race, he decided to play professional football and we lost a great hurdler to football.

Comment

meanwhile....

1968_04I.jpg

Comment

I was born April 1968 same week as this great cover!
          Thank you for having shared this superb photo, Garry!

Comment

Notice how far back one of his teammates is in this photograph.

Comment

Didn't McCullough run on a 4x110 record setting relay with OJ Simpson???

Comment

Originally posted by bambam1729 View Post
                Didn't McCullough run on a 4x110 record setting relay with OJ Simpson???
                that was the famous alliterative foursome of McCullough to Kuller to Killer to Miller.

Comment

One of our beloved TV announcers likes to inform us that USC still holds the "world record" for the 440 relay. (Wouldn't likely be Ato, as a UCLA guy. Though I think he *does* like to say that his former coach John Smith is still the WR holder for the 440.)

Comment

Originally posted by gh View Post

that was the famous alliterative foursome of McCullough to Kuller to Killer to Miller.
                    Took me a second there. Very good.

Comment

Originally posted by NotDutra5 View Post

Took me a second there. Very good.
                      Bob Hersh's line, I believe

Comment

Earl and Richmond Flowers were my first hurdle role models, but then got quickly supplanted by Davenport and his MexCity victory.

He was a superb athlete.

Comment

I remember driving down after my high school graduation to 1964 California State Meet at LA Coliseum primarily to see the (Steve) Caminiti-McCullough duels in both hurdles. McCullough trounced him in both. 100y was won by an Oakland McClymonds senior named Jimmy Hines.

Comment

Jim, if I remember, Caminiti had beaten McCullough the week before at CIF-SS finals after both had earlier set the national record of 18.1. I can only imagine the cash that was flowing all around the Coliseum before that race. (Ah, the 180 lows was such a great event. how fast would they go now?)

Comment

J Rorick, I was in the Los Angeles Coliseum for the 1964 California State Meet. Don't remember where I was sitting, but I do remember what a great high school meet it was.

Comment

Working...
                              X