Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jessica Tandy

Happy birthday today (Monday) to an Olympic champion who competed in the same event at four consecutive Olympic Games (no hurdles).

Without "A Shadow of a Doubt", "The Postman Always Rings Twice" with 'Brute Force" when he's in a "Lifeboat" called the "Cocoon".

Our birthday athlete shares the same initials with an actor you might have heard about (maybe not). Both the actor and the birthday person spoke the same language.

Born 91 years ago today, this champion died 17 days after celebrating a 79th birthday.

This birthday individual won the Olympic gold medal at the first of those four consecutive Olympic Games.

Each of those four consecutive Olympic Games were held on four different continents (not on South America, Antarctica, or Africa).

That actor I mentioned was born about 20 years before our birthday athlete and the actor died about seven years before our birthday person.

Try and name our birthday athlete on this first day of August in 2022.

Good luck and please remember that no research is allowed.

Parry O'Brien?

Comment

Parry O'Brien is a good guess, Olli, however it is not correct. Our birthday athlete won one Olympic gold medal during four consecutive Olympics.

Comment

So he's not Al Oerter either. But the Olympics are 56, 60, 64, and 68. I think I recall there was an American hammer thrower Harold Connolly, but perhaps I am on the wrong track.

Comment

To state the easy parts - won gold in '56, competed in 60, 64, and 68. Initials JT, but the answer is certainly not Joe Talamo, who is still alive.

Comment

Yes, Olys of 56 thru 68. Not sure where the JT comes from, as I haven't unravelled that part of the clue(s). It would appear to be Hal Connolly. Interestingly enough, at first I was thinking of Olga Fikotova, but some clues don't fit.

Comment

Hal Connolly was born in Massachusetts 91 years ago today. Very good, Olli.

Hal Connolly won the hammer throw at the 1956 Melbourne Olympics. He was eighth place in the hammer throw at the 1960 Rome Olympics and finished in sixth place at the 1964 Tokyo Olympics. His final Olympics were the 1968 Mexico City Games where he did not make the hammer throw final.

Connolly died in Maryland in August of 2010 at the age of 79.

Thanks to Olli, cigar95, and to catson52.

Comment

Who's the actor?

Comment

The actor (born in 1911 in Canada) is Hume Cronyn. Cronym was married to Jessica Tandy (see headline). He was in the five movies I highlighted in the second sentence of my clues. Of course he was in other movies, but I thought someone might recognize these five.

Comment

Never heard about Hume Cronyn, but your clue did help me somewhat, since I guessed the actor and hence the athlete are from English-speaking countries.

Comment

Ah, I took Jessica Tandy too literally - had I made the obvious connection I might have gotten the whole puzzle.

Comment

Originally posted by Olli View Post
                        Never heard about Hume Cronyn, but your clue did help me somewhat, since I guessed the actor and hence the athlete are from English-speaking countries.
                        I hadn't figured out Hugh Cronyn. Now it makes sense - they were quite a couple.

Comment

Originally posted by catson52 View Post

I hadn't figured out Hugh Cronyn. Now it makes sense - they were quite a couple.
                          He was born in London, Ontario and she was born in London, England.

Comment

Working...
                          X