Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• X wall trivia...

321 men broke this wall in history.
    This is from one of the most prestigious* T&F events to help.
    It was first broken 62 years ago. This athlete who is still alive was coached by the legendary Bill Bowerman.
    What is this X wall?
    *to my mind
    Starts
    09-09-2022
    Ends
    09-18-2022
    Last edited by 79; 09-12-2022, 07:38 AM.

I’m guessing your “wall” is what Americans wold call a “barrier.”

the barrier in question would be 45.0, broken at the 1960 Olympics by Otis Davis.

Comment

Originally posted by dj View Post
      I’m guessing your “wall” is what Americans wold call a “barrier.”

the barrier in question would be 45.0, broken at the 1960 Olympics by Otis Davis.
      Bravo dj ! Still an impressive performance nowadays!
      When I was much younger, I enjoyed trying to know by heart some 400m world lists (by far my favourite event through the 80s' till now) 🙂👌🏻
      Last edited by 79; 09-11-2022, 05:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 79 View Post
        This is from one of the most prestigious T&F events to help.
        Is there an order of prestigiousness for T&F events???

Comment

Originally posted by Olli View Post

Is there an order of prestigiousness for T&F events???
          To my opinion, no specific order. Depends on your own vision of T&F.
          I think any olympic gold medal in a marathon is more prestigious than any gold medal in a mixed-relay, for example.

Comment

That example doesn't actually help much to understand why 400m is "one of the most prestigious."

Comment

That example doesn't actually help much to understand why 400m is "one of the most prestigious."
              Well, based on its rich history, on world-known champions who crossed it, like Michael Johnson, on my subjective fascination (and passion) for this event, to resume, I believe this "carrefour des vertus" as French T&F journalist/historian Robert Parienté wrote, has often had a sort of of "aura" for the crowds and people in front of their TVs.
              If you thought the women 3000m steeple-chase is among the most prestigious events, I would respect your vision...
              I should have written "one of the most prestigious events TO MY OPINION", you are correct.
              Last edited by 79; 09-12-2022, 08:55 AM.

Comment

OK, so that hint was not very useful. From a more objective viewpoint, I might argue that there are about equally (or more) world-famous champions in practically all men's running distances.

Whether 400m is a particularly popular distance from the spectators' view, I do not claim to know. I would have guessed, however, that it is among the less popular, since it is not easy to follow who is first, second, etc. until the last 1/4 of the race.

I would think that tactical aspects add a lot of interest to longer distances for many spectators. For example, one still discusses Coe–Ovett rivalry (or Keino–Ryun) etc., but is there corresponding discussion about 400m?

Comment

Trying to be neutral about which event seems to be more prestigious or not, Olli, I think the 2 first onces coming to my mind are the 100m (men) and the marathon.

Comment

Whether 400m is a particularly popular distance from the spectators' view, I do not claim to know. I would have guessed, however, that it is among the less popular, since it is not easy to follow who is first, second, etc. until the last 1/4 of the race.
                    I think from the inexperienced spectators' point of view it does have that problem. For the more experienced spectator, I think that is part of the appeal, as you try to use your experience and judgement to see who's ahead, whilst noting, for example, that the athlete in lane 4 is already alongside the one in lane 5, but appears to have a lot of tension on their shoulders and upper body and is therefore probably pushing too hard and is likely to struggle in the last 100m.

Comment

Originally posted by 79 View Post
                      Trying to be neutral about which event seems to be more prestigious or not, Olli, I think the 2 first ones coming to my mind are the 100m (men) and the marathon.
                      In the USA I'd guess

1. 100 - elementary speed
                      2. Mile (not 1500) - tradition
                      3. PV - athleticism
                      4. 110H - athleticism & speed
                      4. SP - elementary strength
                      5. HJ - elementary ups

Marathon - love/hate relationship. Takes too long for our cultural ADD, but all the 'runners' here do try to follow it.

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                        In the USA I'd guess

1. 100 - elementary speed
                        2. Mile (not 1500) - tradition
                        3. PV - athleticism
                        4. 110H - athleticism & speed
                        4. SP - elementary strength
                        5. HJ - elementary ups

Marathon - love/hate relationship. Takes too long for our cultural ADD, but all the 'runners' here do try to follow it.
                        No long jump? That's somewhat elementary too, isn't it?

Comment

After the classic mile, I kinda like the 400. One lap is just right to speculate/jubilate/despair. In the longer races, the mile excepted, too much can happen to maintain suspense or they become repetitous.
                          I think PV wins the prestigious award for field events. It is just so complicated and difficult.

Comment

No long jump? That's somewhat elementary too, isn't it?
                            LJ was a glamour event when it had King Carl.

Comment

Originally posted by TN1965 View Post
                              LJ was a glamour event when it had King Carl.
                              True. I think the prestige of a given event varies/coincides with the popularity/personality/prestige of the current outstanding performer in that event.

Comment

Working...
                              X