X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lonewolf49
    replied
    Originally posted by TN1965 View Post
    LJ was a glamour event when it had King Carl.
    True. I think the prestige of a given event varies/coincides with the popularity/personality/prestige of the current outstanding performer in that event.

Leave a comment:

• TN1965
    replied
    Originally posted by Olli View Post

No long jump? That's somewhat elementary too, isn't it?
    LJ was a glamour event when it had King Carl.

Leave a comment:

• lonewolf49
    replied
    After the classic mile, I kinda like the 400. One lap is just right to speculate/jubilate/despair. In the longer races, the mile excepted, too much can happen to maintain suspense or they become repetitous.
    I think PV wins the prestigious award for field events. It is just so complicated and difficult.

Leave a comment:

• Olli
    replied
    Originally posted by Atticus View Post
    In the USA I'd guess

1. 100 - elementary speed
    2. Mile (not 1500) - tradition
    3. PV - athleticism
    4. 110H - athleticism & speed
    4. SP - elementary strength
    5. HJ - elementary ups

Marathon - love/hate relationship. Takes too long for our cultural ADD, but all the 'runners' here do try to follow it.
    No long jump? That's somewhat elementary too, isn't it?

Leave a comment:

• Atticus
    replied
    Originally posted by 79 View Post
    Trying to be neutral about which event seems to be more prestigious or not, Olli, I think the 2 first ones coming to my mind are the 100m (men) and the marathon.
    In the USA I'd guess

1. 100 - elementary speed
    2. Mile (not 1500) - tradition
    3. PV - athleticism
    4. 110H - athleticism & speed
    4. SP - elementary strength
    5. HJ - elementary ups

Marathon - love/hate relationship. Takes too long for our cultural ADD, but all the 'runners' here do try to follow it.

Leave a comment:

• Trickstat
    replied
    Whether 400m is a particularly popular distance from the spectators' view, I do not claim to know. I would have guessed, however, that it is among the less popular, since it is not easy to follow who is first, second, etc. until the last 1/4 of the race.
    I think from the inexperienced spectators' point of view it does have that problem. For the more experienced spectator, I think that is part of the appeal, as you try to use your experience and judgement to see who's ahead, whilst noting, for example, that the athlete in lane 4 is already alongside the one in lane 5, but appears to have a lot of tension on their shoulders and upper body and is therefore probably pushing too hard and is likely to struggle in the last 100m.

Leave a comment:

replied
    Trying to be neutral about which event seems to be more prestigious or not, Olli, I think the 2 first onces coming to my mind are the 100m (men) and the marathon.

Leave a comment:

• Olli
    replied
    OK, so that hint was not very useful. From a more objective viewpoint, I might argue that there are about equally (or more) world-famous champions in practically all men's running distances.

Whether 400m is a particularly popular distance from the spectators' view, I do not claim to know. I would have guessed, however, that it is among the less popular, since it is not easy to follow who is first, second, etc. until the last 1/4 of the race.

I would think that tactical aspects add a lot of interest to longer distances for many spectators. For example, one still discusses Coe–Ovett rivalry (or Keino–Ryun) etc., but is there corresponding discussion about 400m?

Leave a comment:

replied
    That example doesn't actually help much to understand why 400m is "one of the most prestigious."
    Well, based on its rich history, on world-known champions who crossed it, like Michael Johnson, on my subjective fascination (and passion) for this event, to resume, I believe this "carrefour des vertus" as French T&F journalist/historian Robert Parienté wrote, has often had a sort of of "aura" for the crowds and people in front of their TVs.
    If you thought the women 3000m steeple-chase is among the most prestigious events, I would respect your vision...
    I should have written "one of the most prestigious events TO MY OPINION", you are correct.
    Last edited by 79; 09-12-2022, 08:55 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Olli
    replied
    That example doesn't actually help much to understand why 400m is "one of the most prestigious."

Leave a comment:

replied

Is there an order of prestigiousness for T&F events???
    To my opinion, no specific order. Depends on your own vision of T&F.
    I think any olympic gold medal in a marathon is more prestigious than any gold medal in a mixed-relay, for example.

Leave a comment:

• Olli
    replied
    Originally posted by 79 View Post
    This is from one of the most prestigious T&F events to help.
    Is there an order of prestigiousness for T&F events???

Leave a comment:

replied
    Originally posted by dj View Post
    I’m guessing your “wall” is what Americans wold call a “barrier.”

the barrier in question would be 45.0, broken at the 1960 Olympics by Otis Davis.
    Bravo dj ! Still an impressive performance nowadays!
    When I was much younger, I enjoyed trying to know by heart some 400m world lists (by far my favourite event through the 80s' till now) 🙂👌🏻
    Last edited by 79; 09-11-2022, 05:02 PM.

Leave a comment:

• dj
    replied
    I’m guessing your “wall” is what Americans wold call a “barrier.”

the barrier in question would be 45.0, broken at the 1960 Olympics by Otis Davis.

Leave a comment:

started a topic X wall trivia...

X wall trivia...

321 men broke this wall in history.
    This is from one of the most prestigious* T&F events to help.
    It was first broken 62 years ago. This athlete who is still alive was coached by the legendary Bill Bowerman.
    What is this X wall?
    *to my mind
    Starts
    09-09-2022
    Ends
    09-18-2022
    Last edited by 79; 09-12-2022, 07:38 AM.
Working...
X