Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trivia about the first individual Kenyan 400m Olympic medalist...

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trivia about the first individual Kenyan 400m Olympic medalist...

Today would have been his birthday (Bonjour DoubleRBar).
    He was born exactly 74 years ago and died in 2006.
    He was probably the first Kenyan 400m star.
    This athlete studied at the North Carolina Central University in the late 60s'.
    And to end with this mystery man, he won an Olympic gold medal and a bronze one in the same OG.
    Who was he?

Yeah, in Munich Kenyans got 3rd and 4th place in 400m and won the relay in the absence of USA. I think the two runners were something like Charles Asati and Julius Sang, but I may remember wrong. Was it Asati who got the bronze???
    Last edited by Olli; 09-19-2022, 04:20 PM.

Comment

(After checking: ) Damn, I was going to guess Sang, but changed just before posting. €%&€#

Comment

The two Kenyan athletes on the Olympic Gold Medal team who ran for North Carolina Central were Julius Sang and Robert Ouko (5th in the 800m). Sang was the bronze medalist in the 400m.

Comment

Originally posted by Olli View Post
          (After checking: ) Damn, I was going to guess Sang, but changed just before posting. €%&€#
          Ahahaha 😉

Comment

No hurdles were involved in these medals.

Comment

Originally posted by cigar95 View Post
              Hey, cigar95! Hurdles involved somewhere else, because it is Sally Pearson's birthday today, monsieur DoubleRBar would say!🎂🇦🇺
              Last edited by 79; 09-19-2022, 05:57 PM.

Comment

Ah, doesn't look like he's putting that one up today. Reading your post doesn't count as "research", so I could have gotten one. (Then again, I missed out on Jesse Owens last week, so I'm probably suspended from participation for incompetence.)

Comment

To be honest, cigar95, of course, I sometimes do researches around DoubleRBar's often difficult (for me) T&F enigmas.
                  So, I should be suspended too... 😜

Comment

Unfortunately I can't find any TV tape of the race but I found this:
                    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08geXf3JTxM
                    Julius Sang ran a stormin' 43.5 anchor to take the gold.
                    Top 4 teams are performances 187, 316, 376, and 462 if you want to see the splits here:
                    http://www.alltime-athletics.com/m4x400ok.htm
                    I see France's Daniel Velasques (listed as Roger Velasques on the relay website) ran a 44.1 second leg. Pretty quick for someone who didn't even make the semi round in the individual 400!

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Michaelson View Post
                      Unfortunately I can't find any TV tape of the race but I found this:
                      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08geXf3JTxM
                      Julius Sang ran a stormin' 43.5 anchor to take the gold.
                      Top 4 teams are performances 187, 316, 376, and 462 if you want to see the splits here:
                      http://www.alltime-athletics.com/m4x400ok.htm
                      I see France's Daniel Velasques (listed as Roger Velasques on the relay website) ran a 44.1 second leg. Pretty quick for someone who didn't even make the semi round in the individual 400!
                      I know a French national coach, Pierre Bonvin, who was his teammate in the early/mid seventies.
                      I will ask him about Roger Velasquez's specificities then.

Comment

Originally posted by cigar95 View Post
                        Good one.

Comment

Working...
                        X